Day tank for Refleks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I received my order last week. A large Refleks diesel heater for my boat. I want to slowly build up a hydronic system, since it has the heating coil built in. My first dilemma is the day tank. I want gravity feed of the diesel, so I estimated a 5 gallon size would be sufficient. I keep searching the web, but I do not see many options for a wall mount stainless steel tank.
Does anyone know a good source?

Thanks.

No idea about the day tank, just wanted to say I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the Refleks. There's much I like about them, number one of which is they don't need an electric fan to burn diesel without sooting.

I've read it's possible to rig a hydronic system without a pump...what's your plan in that regard?

I received my order last week. A large Refleks diesel heater for my boat. I want to slowly build up a hydronic system, since it has the heating coil built in. My first dilemma is the day tank. I want gravity feed of the diesel, so I estimated a 5 gallon size would be sufficient. I keep searching the web, but I do not see many options for a wall mount stainless steel tank.
Does anyone know a good source?

Thanks.

I'm looking into those after seeing Mads videos on his two Refleks stoves. I think he uses a 5 gallon tank. The automotive world should have something if the marine sector doesn't. I think Mads transfers fuel every few days from his main tanks to the stove tank.

I'm interested in the thermo-siphoning effect with those stoves as well. I'm building a dutch styled Luxe Motor based on a Teign gravel barge hull. All those traditional build boats use a diesel heating unit with radiators through the boat.

Universal Fuel Tanks

I would thing a 6 gallon Outboard style tank would fit the bill. I'm not sure if diesel fuel reacts negatively with plastic but it would seem to be a simple answer.
Everybody report on the reflex seems to be positive. I know several commercial fisherman that raved about them and they are a tough crowd to please

The gravity tank for my diesel stove is fabricated aluminum construction. Hidden in an upper part of a locker.

Our Dickinson uses 1/2 to 4 gallons per day , the latter when its 0F and below.

A pump less hydronic can be done ,we have it in our 90/90.

The system must slope down from the highest point ,to the bottom coil we use 3/4 inch baseboard style finned tubing.Any change in direction can not be done with 45 or 90 deg elbows. Either hose with a slow bend or slow sweeps from a refrigeration supply does work.

The system works slowly as there is not much difference in the weight of cold water and hot water.

But after heating overnight , your fine till spring .

Our circ. water runs at 135F to maintain T shirt environment on board.adjusted manually at the fuel control.

Our header tank is about a gallon , diesel fuel tank 24 gal.

Last edited:
Our Dickinson uses 1/2 to 4 gallons per day , the latter when its 0F and below.

A pump less hydronic can be done ,we have it in our 90/90.

The system must slope down from the highest point ,to the bottom coil we use 3/4 inch baseboard style finned tubing.Any change in direction can not be done with 45 or 90 deg elbows. Either hose with a slow bend or slow sweeps from a refrigeration supply does work.

The system works slowly as there is not much difference in the weight of cold water and hot water.

But after heating overnight , your fine till spring .

Our circ. water runs at 135F to maintain T shirt environment on board.adjusted manually at the fuel control.

Our header tank is about a gallon , diesel fuel tank 24 gal.

Thanks FF. The Refleks stoves from what I have read, use about a pint an hour on low. Most guys use them on small sailboats (-30ft) though so not to bad to heat.

I like the idea of a diesel stove on my boat to keep with the theme. The Euro boats use a combination of heating. Engine coolant heating, a boiler for when the engine is off, and a multi fuel solid fuel stove. The solid fuel stove usually burns coal, wood, and pellets. The coolant based heat is usually through radiators or finned baseboard heaters. Sometimes a combo.

No idea about the day tank, just wanted to say I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the Refleks. There's much I like about them, number one of which is they don't need an electric fan to burn diesel without sooting.

I've read it's possible to rig a hydronic system without a pump...what's your plan in that regard?

I want to include pumps. In the long run, I want zones heated individually. The stove will be in the salon, because it has a cooktop and sometimes the salon heating is enough for me.
I will install cast iron radiators down below (weight is not a problem on my boat) for the main and guest cabins and maybe one more for the tub/shower head. The hoses are already there, since this boat had central heating originally. I just need connect the system.
I want a slow circulating pump for the radiators and one for the hot water tank. Each zone will be connected to a manifold, so the flow can be controlled easily.
I hope I will find pumps with low amp usage. The do not need to move large volumes of water and the do not need to run all the time.
I might need to order a custom tank. The wall next to the heater can accommodate 4-5’ tall tank, so a slim built would be the best. I can go higher on the capacity, maybe up to 10-15 gallons. The tank will have its own fuel pump connected to my 400g engine feeding tank with a filter. I can store 1600 gallons total in 4 tanks, so plenty of heating source. Lol

With hoses already there you've probably saved yourself 90% of the physical effort involved in the project. Sounds awesome. I'd go with one in the head as well because if your wife is anything like mine, a cold toilet seat can negate many gains made in other areas!

With hoses already there you've probably saved yourself 90% of the physical effort involved in the project. Sounds awesome. I'd go with one in the head as well because if your wife is anything like mine, a cold toilet seat can negate many gains made in other areas!

I’ve got the message. Lol. Head radiator it is...will be installed.

This model is one of the largest they sell. It cost me around $2700 to purchase. This includes shipping and customs. It could have been less without the coil and cooking top, but I wanted those. I was a bit surprised about how tall it was. See pictures. IMG_0034.jpgIMG_0033.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0031.jpgIMG_0030.jpg

The best source of parts and information is right there locally in Seattle at Sure Marine. They have the pumps, manifolds and any other parts you might need. They don’t sell Refleks but should be happy to set you up with everything else you need and the info to do it right. If you can’t find a fuel tank that seems right for you, look at hydraulic tanks from some of the commercial marine places. Lots of oddball sizing and they work great for day tanks.

The best source of parts and information is right there locally in Seattle at Sure Marine. They have the pumps, manifolds and any other parts you might need. They don’t sell Refleks but should be happy to set you up with everything else you need and the info to do it right. If you can’t find a fuel tank that seems right for you, look at hydraulic tanks from some of the commercial marine places. Lots of oddball sizing and they work great for day tanks.

Yes, I know them. Have been there in the past, when I bought my boat. Luckily, the shop is quite close to my work. I’ll take your advice and go to chat with them next week.
I certainly need guidance on the fittings, manifold, valves, pipes.
It seems that I need a custom made tank. Www.onlinemetals.com has a location here, same vicinity as Sure Marine. I wonder, if they could fabricate a tank for me for the specifications I need? Anyone has dealt with them before?

With a pump, more heat can be taken out with coils on the exhaust , or a special built wet exhaust pipe.

A copper coil inside the unit requires water , to operate ,a SS coil 7 to 9 turns does not.

If locating as shown a reflective insulated piece of SS is advisable.

Have you located a water deck iron?

Last edited:
ShipMate Stove Company Inc. - your source for classic solid fuel boat stoves, heaters and sinks.

I'm unfamiliar with deck irons...do you have to keep refilling it, and what happens if you don't? How long does it take to evaporate? Is there a non-water alternative?

That's totally not what I was planning to use. I was planning to use the insulated stainless steel pass through box similar to what is used in a house.

My apologies to LeoKa for continuing this thread jacking.

That’s a nice big stove. How many BTUs is it, and how many BTUs can be transferred to the water coils?

Have you calculated all this out because it doesn’t seem that unit’s little coil could produce sufficient hot water for your radiator system. Or are the radiators just to provide supplemental heat to remote areas like the head and the bridge?

A water deck iron is usually a cast bronze item that has so much mass and surface area that most (ours anyway) is not watered.

They are mostly required for wood or coal ranges that may be 50,000 or more BTU.

The Dickinson is only 20,000BTU

In terms of heat output ours keeps (2) 6ft and (1) 4ft sections of 3/4inch finned copper tubing warm.This is required as we have water tight doors between sections.

That’s a nice big stove. How many BTUs is it, and how many BTUs can be transferred to the water coils?

Have you calculated all this out because it doesn’t seem that unit’s little coil could produce sufficient hot water for your radiator system. Or are the radiators just to provide supplemental heat to remote areas like the head and the bridge?

This unit is capable doing 16,674 Kcals. I don’t know, if this will make cabins steaming hot, but this was not the purpose anyway. My main goal is to keep the boat dry. Even today, I run a small oil filled electrical radiator heater down below and keep window slightly open for airflow out. The boat is dry now.
When Refleks will function, it will warm up the salon nicely and provide some warmth down below in the cabins and bathroom. I like sleeping in cool room. The PNW winter in Seattle is mostly mild, so I am worried about calories as much.
The coil inside is not that small. See photo.
IMG_0042.jpg

"10 gallon fuel cell" on the auction site. I used a smaller one for my coolant reservoir.

Leo, Fisheries Supply in Seattle sells Moeller fuel tanks. I installed a 12 gallon version as a day tank for my Espar furnace and it has worked out fine.

"10 gallon fuel cell" on the auction site. I used a smaller one for my coolant reservoir.

Good prices, but they are all aluminum. I try to avoid it. I want stainless and possibly a custom size, due to space restrictions on salon wall.

IF it gets real cold ,0F or so your fuel consumption will be gallons every 24 hours.

A pack of metal 6 gallon outboard tanks would be EZ to take to the fuel source for refills,and to hook up..

My idea of a "best" setup would be a 20 gal day tank with a hand pump from the main tanks to keep it full.

Back
Top Bottom