Mobile Bay area recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZ2Loop

Vessel Name
Sea-N-Stars
Vessel Make
1990 49' Albin
I’ll do a search, too, but since things change I will ask in this new thread as well. We are headed to Mobile Bay over the next few days from Demopolis and will look for a place to stay for a few days. Recommendations of area marinas would be appreciated. We are having a couple of packages delivered and will provision before heading to FL.

49' length. 4' draft.

Marinas north of Mobile as we approach, any in Mobile, and then once through Mobile are all very welcome as options. It’s our first time through the area and appreciate any local knowledge.

We do have a Skipper Bob book with us, but it ends in Mobile so I appreciate any tips from those here who know the area. I get the feeling there may not be many options. Thanks!

Your options in Mobile Bay are pretty limited and there are no marinas on the river before Mobile. There are a couple of options on both the eastern and western shores of the bay but they are all pretty removed from provisioning (you'll need a car).

My choice would be to plan a stop at the Mobile convention center to check out the town (no power or water). Then it would be an easy run down the bay and a bit east on the ICW to Orange Beach Marina. They accept mail, have a courtesy car and have several restaurants onsite and within walking distance. Publix and Rouses grocery stores are both close.

I've done this trip both ways and really prefer the convention center to OBM trip. If you anchor in the Alabama River its a pretty easy run to Mobile. The convention center used to be free but there is now a small charge and reservations are made on line. I'd look into that while you have good wifi in Demopolis.

Hope this helps.

I have to disagree with Kevin. Fairhope is a lovely town across the bay from Mobile on the water with a few good marinas. Good shopping and restaurants.
On the Mobile side, Dog River Marina is a large full service facility. No direct experience with them as a boater, but been there by land and have good references from people I trust.

Last edited:
We have docked at both, Eastern Shores Marina had the best diesel price and if you fueled over 100 gallons they gave you a free days dockage. Might be worth checking to see if they still offer it. Fairhope shopping and restaurant choices was a winner for our stay.

Thanks for the info, folks. And, yes, djmarchand, I do need to use Active Captain more. I appreciate the tips from those of you familiar with the area.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply there weren't other options just giving my opinion on the OP's need to provision.

Fairhope is one of our favorite towns on Mobile Bay. The old Eastern Shore Marina is now Fairhope Docks and run by the city. They have made great improvements but no longer have a car available last I was there. We have also stayed at the small marina at the fishing pier but the entrance can get skinny in a north wind. It has better access to town but would be a long trip provisioning on foot.

Dog River on the western shore has gone downhill in the last few years since the owners death. We were there this past spring for several weeks and absolutely needed a car for anything other than West Marine or the YC across the street.

Back
Top Bottom