Cell Boosters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceP

Vessel Name
Blue Ocean
Vessel Make
Bayliner 5788
We spend the summers in the Desolation Sound are and north of there. Cell service (which we use for data too) is spotty.

We have been experimenting with cell boosters with some success.

I am now doing some modifications to our system to make the directional antenna better and to reduce oscillation issues. We have also ordered some "Faraday Cloth to Prevent Oscillation" and plan to install it above the interior antenna.

I'd be interested in hearing other boaters experiences and opinions on what works and what doesn't.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought, I hope someone in my area answers it, I wa curious how well cell boosters would work in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. I will be following this thread.

We had a Shakespeare "Super Halo" kit in our last boat and it worked pretty well, but our friends worked better, even when we were rafted in the same place. He got us to put our phone right on the antenna and that helped. I now believe that the installation was part of the problem.

On our current boat, the amplifier wasn't working well at all. I started reading and found out that the interior antenna was installed upside down. It was pointed up at the topside antenna, which apparently causes oscillation and shutdown.

I now plan to mount it on the ceiling with some shielding material over it.

I am not an engineer or expert, but I think a lot of boaters are struggling with this and want better solutions.

I found this video to be a good primer.
(I think :ermm:)

Another thing that I discovered is that most of my early testing was a waste of time. It turns out (makes perfect sense) that the amplifier automatically shuts down if there is already a strong signal. Testing at my dock was a complete waste of time. I should have read the manual first.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought, I hope someone in my area answers it, I wa curious how well cell boosters would work in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. I will be following this thread.

I have a Wilson cell booster as well as their antenna on my radar arch. I've never had trouble connecting in Desolation Sound or the Broughtons. Once around Cape Caution, you may connect around Rivers Inlet and again around Pruth Bay. Bella Bella is well equipped with cell towers. We use an Iridium sat phone and an Inreach in the dead spots.:thumb:

There is a good Youtube channel called Mobile Internet Resource Center. The couple that does it also has another channel called technomadia where they chronicle doing the great loop in their Bayliner. They also travel extensively in an RV. Anyway, the first channel has very good information on some of this stuff and reviews on various pieces of equipment. One thing I found interesting is the difference between boosting cellular voice vs. cellular data and the associated challenges.

Ken E. Good information. Do you know which Wilson Cell booster you are using and what cell carrier?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken - I'll have to check on the Wilson model number when I'm at the boat. I installed it about 6 years ago, and it was the only model they offered at that time. The carrier is Verizon. There is a lot debate on cost vs coverage by the various carriers, but we've found that for central/northern BC and Alaska, Verizon is very good. Maybe not the cheapest these days, but we're staying with them.

Thanks, I also have heard that Verizon is pretty good along the inside passage. My experience with Verizon is that it is pretty spotty in the San Juan's. (Reed Harbor, Fossil Bay, Rolfe Cove, Garrison Bay, etc.) Maybe I need a new phone :)

I had a Sure Call Cellphone Mate booster and a Digital Antenna Cell antenna for about 10 years.

We were able to get phone and text in Desolation and Broughtons fairly well with the combo. It got best reception if we were in a east - west oriented channel open to towers from Vancouver Island.
When the carriers started switching to LTE a few years ago, reception started getting iffy.

Texting seems to work in areas where there is no strong signals. It may take 30 minutes to send a text but it eventually goes through.

I plan on purchasing a LTE system from WeBoost or Sure Call next year.

Last edited:
With out a booster, the cell service in Desolation sound itself is superb. If you can't see Sara Point, however, ...
We found Pendrell Sound to be a wonderfully quiet place, likewise Teakearn Arm. otherwise, all those wonderful anchorages we call Desolation Sound have good service.

Thanks Prospective.

I have watched a couple of the videos already. They review lots of options that I have never heard of.

Thanks, I also have heard that Verizon is pretty good along the inside passage. My experience with Verizon is that it is pretty spotty in the San Juan's. (Reed Harbor, Fossil Bay, Rolfe Cove, Garrison Bay, etc.) Maybe I need a new phone :)

Ken - I'll have to check on the Wilson model number when I'm at the boat. I installed it about 6 years ago, and it was the only model they offered at that time. The carrier is Verizon. There is a lot debate on cost vs coverage by the various carriers, but we've found that for central/northern BC and Alaska, Verizon is very good. Maybe not the cheapest these days, but we're staying with them.

Ken I have the same system. SE Alaska has some issues. Verizon is good in the bigger towns like K-Town, Juneau. Wrangell, Petersburg not so good. At the smaller sites it all A&TT. If you are a non-A&TT customer, there is no data and 3G.

Is there a more recent update to this?
I’m trying to decide whether a cell phone booster would be useful in Desolation and the Broughtons. San Juan islands.

I’ve been recommended the Shakespeare Super halo system, but it gets expensive installed.

Willing to do they if there is a meaningful improvement. It’s only 2/3/4g but 5G will probably be a long way off if ever.

I had a Sure Call Cellphone Mate booster and a Digital Antenna Cell antenna for about 10 years.

We were able to get phone and text in Desolation and Broughtons fairly well with the combo. It got best reception if we were in a east - west oriented channel open to towers from Vancouver Island.
When the carriers started switching to LTE a few years ago, reception started getting iffy.

Texting seems to work in areas where there is no strong signals. It may take 30 minutes to send a text but it eventually goes through.

I plan on purchasing a LTE system from WeBoost or Sure Call next year.

I ended up not buying a LTE booster.

My August/September 2021 updates copied from thread, "San Juan Island Cell Phone Service":

We are cruising San Juans with a Netgear Nighthawk M1 connected to a Poynting Omni 402 MIMO antenna and here are download/upload speeds for T Mobile and Verizon:

Hope Island - Verizon 42/20 - T Mobile 7/22 with antenna and 7/7 without.

Anacortes - Verizon 60/19 - T Mobile 47/29 with antenna and 25/29 without.

Lopez Sound, South end - Verizon 2/0 - T Mobile 24/4 with antenna and 3/2 without.

Garrison Bay - Verizon 3/0 - T Mobile 41/9 with antenna and 35/2 without.

Reid Harbor - Verizon 0/0 - T Mobil 24/1 with antenna and 4/1 without

Friday Harbor - Verizon - 68/37 - T Mobile 28/33 with antenna and 28/33 without.

Parks Bay - Verizon 4/0 - T Mobile 25/2 with antenna and 1/0 without.

Speed via Speedtest.

T Mobile is on a Hotspot only 100 gb plan.

Verizon is on an unlimited phone and data plan.

Last edited:
With MIMO technology, LTE performance with a booster is questionable. The antenna/booster combination probably picks up and amplifie noise and interference. Two boosters and two antennas may be the solution.

MIMO technology transmits and delivers data via multiple signal paths to the router or phone, improving throughput, which is why multiple antennas are required. The Nighthawk is configured with two antenna ports to accept signals from two antennas and utilize Carrier Aggregation which allows the Nighthawk to receive and process multiple signals simultaneously. The Poynting Omni 402 MIMO antenna has two antenna elements in the housing, each with it's own cable and connector.

I experimented with the booster and cell antenna along with the Nighthawk and Omni 402 antenna at home. I live a distance from the nearest cell towers so reception is not strong and speeds low. The best results were from the Nighthawk and Omni 402. The booster and Digital Antenna increased the bars on my phone and Nighthawk router but speed did not increase.

Next year when we cruise Canada, I'll get a SIM card from a Canadian cell provider to use in the Nighthawk.

Last edited:
So the nighthawk router/access point takes a SIM card directly? Or you need a modem?

Exercise my ignorance, but connect antenna to nighthawk with sim ? And use WiFi to connect to devices including mobile phones from there?

So the nighthawk router/access point takes a SIM card directly? Or you need a modem?

Exercise my ignorance, but connect antenna to nighthawk with sim ? And use WiFi to connect to devices including mobile phones from there?

The SIM card is installed in the Nighthawk. It identifies me as a customer in the celluar network and allows the Nighthawk to connect to the provider.

The Nighthawk can be used with it's internal antennas only but reception is vastly improved in fringe areas with the external antenna.

The Nighthawk retransmit via it's built in WiFi to our devices.

The Nighthawk hotspot sells for around $230 to $300 and the Omni 402 was $350. I bought the Omni antenna new but purchased a used unlocked Nighthawk from a member on this forum for $100.

Telus or Rogers?

Better to get a US or Canadian plan?

Very helpful! Thank you.

I was recently looking at an unlimited internet plan that was Canada wide using the Rogers network and using a Nighthawk unit. $189/mo. It was being offered by a reseller.

The Nighthawk with an external antenna sounds like a great set up. I think it also has an ethernet port so lots of flexibility to connect a boat network.

My ideal as a seasonal user would be a plan I could buy by the month, unlimited.

Telus or Rogers?

Better to get a US or Canadian plan?

Very helpful! Thank you.

I'm not positive but when roaming in Canada with a US plan, the carrier either limits usage or throttle speed. A separate Canada plan would yield faster speed and desired amount of data.

Plans change constantly so will wait until next spring to get a Canada plan. Also need to research cell tower locations in Canada and their spread to see which carrier has the coverage desired in our cruising area..

Be aware that my priority is obtaining reliable fast internet. The Nighthawk and Omni antennas are for T Mobile internet only.

Our celluar connection from Verizon is not as much of a priority but worked reliably in the San Juans.

We spend the summers in the Desolation Sound are and north of there. Cell service (which we use for data too) is spotty.

We have been experimenting with cell boosters with some success.

I am now doing some modifications to our system to make the directional antenna better and to reduce oscillation issues. We have also ordered some "Faraday Cloth to Prevent Oscillation" and plan to install it above the interior antenna.

I'd be interested in hearing other boaters experiences and opinions on what works and what doesn't.

I have installed plenty of amplifiers in the past and yes Oscillation can be a huge problem. I prefer the amplifiers that are direct connect to the phone or modem via an antenna port.

Back
Top Bottom