VHF handheld recommends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lipets

Vessel Make
Benneteau Swift 42
Expected to see deals at the boat show...

nothing

So need to shop online

what RU using

I've got a Standard Horizon HX210. Doesn't get a lot of use, so no detailed reviews. But it wasn't all that expensive, it's waterproof and floats and it works. And the battery stays charged well when not used for a while. So I've got no complaints with it.

I have a basic portable Icom I really like. And my refit guy prefers Icoms as the company will try to repair a radio rather than trash it like many other companies do. To be honest, I've used my portable Icom on land more than on the boat, I use it to listen in on radio traffic and to get a weather report when I intend to head out (my boat is an hour drive away). I have just purchased an Icom designed for tight spaces, the black box without controls and handheld unit which is located away from the black box does everything. I can't comment on this radio as I haven't used it yet.

My take is they are all good. And watch for used radios, I see them all the time where I live and I don't live in a urban setting.

I have both Standard Horizon and Icom handhelds. Both work fine, but the Icom stays charged much longer, probably owing to it's big proprietary battery. The SH has AA rechargeable batteries. The Icom is nicer in fit and finish, but costs more.

I had a new Icom. After ~5 yrs would no longer transmit, despite being lightly used and always taken care of. The cost to diagnose the repairs was nearly $100, so why bother? I went with a SH to replace it.

Standard horizon hx210. Backup and dinghy duty.

I've had both SH and Icom handhelds and I now prefer the Icons for two reasons. The sound quality (what I hear) is superior and I find their menus much more logical. Since I use mine a lot, I would spend the extra for an Icom.

We have had great service from a Standard Horizon HX870. Their customer service has reprogrammed MMSIs as needed with no hassle. The battery life is great. It is intuitive to use. There might be something newer or better out there, I am not up to speed on this market.

I have a Cobra handheld. It's waterproof and it floats (haven't tested it myself) and it's been great for 5 years so far. It's my backup/Dinghy radio up north and I bring it to FL in the winter to use on my center console.

Back
Top Bottom