Amazing 20V Cordless Drill 2.5LBS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
My new tool for the boat is this Dewalt Cordless Drill that is so small (7”), runs 1/2” drills, torque settings, excellent trigger control, has a Hammer Drill setting, comes with two batteries and a bag. I charged the batteries when I got the drill two months ago. Been working off the first charged battery since. Over an hour work time and this morning it was twisting 1/4” galvanized hurricane shutter screws in half! Be conservative on the torque setting to start and work your way up. Did I mention the drill with battery weighs 2.5lbs? And it has a work area LED. Amazon $129.00. Model #DCD709
Love this little sucker. Adjustments.jpg

Attachments

• Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I have one just like it an love it.
For Christmas ask for it's big brother the impact DCF885C1

I find i use the impact more than the drill

Looks excellent. I have a bunch of Ryobi cordless tools but I did breakdown and buy a DeWalt framing nailer so I have a battery and charger. Oh boy! An excuse to buy another tool!

I like Dewalt tools, but went to Rigid tools because of the lifetime warranty including the batteries. They don’t have as big a selection but I was tired of buying expensive batteries for my Dewalt tools. So I went with Rigid and so far have been very happy with them. One of the sets I bought included a 1/2” impact driver that I thought I would never use but I used it to drive some 7” x 3/8” lag screws into some LVL beams and it was awesome.

Pretty impressive. I have the previous model DeWalt drill and love it.

I have the previous model as well. I heard a "thunk" as I was driving down the road and realized I had left the drill on my car roof. No real damage to the drill but I couldn't find the battery in the tall grass. A single replacement is almost as expensive as a new drill. Not quite the $129 that this one costs but close enough to allow me to rationalize the purchase of a new drill,

(And a new battery for the old drill)

pete

I, too, tired of replacing the standard Dewalt NiCad battery. Changed to a Dewalt Lithium. Problem solved.
I like Dewalt tools, but went to Rigid tools because of the lifetime warranty including the batteries. They don’t have as big a selection but I was tired of buying expensive batteries for my Dewalt tools. So I went with Rigid and so far have been very happy with them. One of the sets I bought included a 1/2” impact driver that I thought I would never use but I used it to drive some 7” x 3/8” lag screws into some LVL beams and it was awesome.

I am a big fan of Dewalt stuff and I have a huge collection of their 18V tools. I bought a Dewalt kit that includes a pair of 20 volt LI batteries and an adapter that makes them work on the 18V tools and while not quite as convenient as using 20V tools, it's a great way to extend the life of the 18V gear, which is seemingly indestructible... If you are putting together a tool collection on a budget, you can find fantastic deals on used 18V tools on craigslist, and modernize them with the 20V conversion kit.

One of my favorite boat tools is a Dewalt cordless right angle drill. It has been incredibly handy in tight spots. I use a grinder a lot more than I thought I ever would too, and would be lost without it.

Greetings,
Yup. Li ion seems to be the way to go. I have several higher end 1/2" drills with dead NiCad's (Rigid, Bosch and Milwakee). The Bosch is practically brand new, little used but dead batteries.

It's completely stupid to buy new batteries when they cost 3/4 the price of a complete new drill kit.

I've switched over to DeWalt drills myself and I can also attest to the battery strength and the ability to hold a charge, seemingly forever, both in use and in storage.

Our son, who is a professional builder/cabinet maker has probably every DeWalt model tool that he uses on a daily basis and he's the one that converted me. He admits they are not the best BUT, for him, the best bang for the $.

Too bad you can't buy Li ions for the old NiCad equipment...Or can you?

Yes, you can. Dewalt makes an 18-volt lithium that slides right on to my drill that was originally equipped with a NiCad. It is smaller but works just fine. Milwaukee also makes a nice line of 18-volt tools that use Lithium batteries. I use a Milwaukee right angle drill with a sailing winch adapter to lift my dinghy onto the stern davits. Very, vert powerful drill. It will break a wrist if not careful.
Greetings,
Yup. Li ion seems to be the way to go. I have several higher end 1/2" drills with dead NiCad's (Rigid, Bosch and Milwakee). The Bosch is practically brand new, little used but dead batteries.

It's completely stupid to buy new batteries when they cost 3/4 the price of a complete new drill kit.

I've switched over to DeWalt drills myself and I can also attest to the battery strength and the ability to hold a charge, seemingly forever, both in use and in storage.

Our son, who is a professional builder/cabinet maker has probably every DeWalt model tool that he uses on a daily basis and he's the one that converted me. He admits they are not the best BUT, for him, the best bang for the $.

Too bad you can't buy Li ions for the old NiCad equipment...Or can you?

Greetings,
Mr. c. Thanks for that. Any idea if Bosch does the same for their 12v drills? I've got 2 of them...again, almost new. My Rigid and Milwakee (both 18v) are near the end of their useful lives, I expect. They were hand me downs from #1 son and as mentioned above, he really uses his tools.

I bought a Ryobi drill/driver more than ten years ago. It came with a NiCad battery. The NiCads would last about a year. Lithium became available and now I have a battery that is eight years old and going strong.

That damn first drill / driver won’t die so I can buy one of the new brushless ones.

I have about twenty five Ryobi tools that all take the same battery. The only one that has died is a stapler. It had repaid its cost when I rescreened my porch.

Back
Top Bottom