View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #43
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
5 1/2 hp and 6 hp OMC also are rigged for remote controls. They are sweet running engines if in good shape and tuned well. At low power levels like enough to “two stroke” and not enough to open the throttle valve much or at all very smooth running and good economy results. Most small 2 strokes have about 1/3 to 1/2 power increase in ignition advance only. Tuned for the above and leaned out some on the low speed jet needle (for engines w high and low speed mixture needles) that is not fixed jet carberation. At about 1/2 throttle one can lean the main jet (or low speed jet (I can’t remember low or high) for much smoother running and excellent economy. will run very smooth and economically too. Gotta richen up to idle or run above 1/2 throttle. Sounds complicated but not hard to become familiar w the drill. And on lots of boats it just takes a minute (literally) to reach back and turn the needle a bit. You know from experience how much.

I crossed Georgia Strait on a 17’ OB cruiser w a 35 hp Johnson leaned out at mid-speed and she ran perfectly all the way across. I was amazed how little fuel I burned. I threw my coat over the engine when the sun came out and she became whisper quiet. That was in 1970 and I still remember how nice that engine ran.

My 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke is too.

I agree w DNT.
My smallest OB is a 4hp Evinrude twin. These are sweet little engines that run off a remote fuel tank but have no reverse gear. One can back under power by rotating the engine 180 degrees. The up-side of no reverse is the lightweight engine that results. The 4hp weighs 33lbs. That’s just 5lbs more than a Yamaha 2hp single. And like DNT I much prefer twins.

The 4hp below at about 1/4 power.
Attached Thumbnails
E240383B-3753-4336-B3F5-2EE9187E9559.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote