ABYC now law in Canada (pretty much)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"manufactured, built, rebuilt or imported for use in Canada"

can't wait to see how long that one lasts. "imported for use", being the interesting one.

"manufactured, built, rebuilt or imported for use in Canada"

can't wait to see how long that one lasts. "imported for use", being the interesting one.

Since the 60's been the case that all imported boats comply with TP1332 however We have never had (still don't) anyone or any way to enforce it.

I visited the Toronto Boat Show with several other surveyors for many years in an attempt to fins a new boat that complied with Canadian Law (canoes and runabouts excepted) and never found one.

Since the 60's been the case that all imported boats comply with TP1332 however We have never had (still don't) anyone or any way to enforce it.

I visited the Toronto Boat Show with several other surveyors for many years in an attempt to fins a new boat that complied with Canadian Law (canoes and runabouts excepted) and never found one.

What specific part of Canadian law is most likely not in compliance as you tour the boat shows looking for gotchas? Let's pick on a new KK 44 or Ranger Tug 31 for example.

Last edited:
What specific part of Canadian law is most likely not in compliance as you tour the boat shows looking for gotchas? Let's pick on a new KK 44 or Ranger Tug 31 for example.

Don't know about those two in particular but the vast majority of non-compliant issues relate to electrical .... battery installations with lack of requred ventilation, lack of fuse protection in the positive cables, use of wing nuts, battery chargers mounted over batteries, improperly wired inverters including grounds. failure to bond AC ground and DC negative. Fuel lines routed over battery chargers, AC outlets without GFCI protection, AC outlets without approved boxes. Failure to separate AC and DC on the back of shared panels or same sharing same enclosure. Gasoline powered boats rarely have have properly ventilated engine compartments. Gasoline engine compartments with non-ignition proof electrical equipment. The list could go on and on. and I am just talking about new boats.

There are a few photos here.
Stoopid boat builder tricks

Last edited:
As I read this, There isn't a new requirement for build specs for Canadian boats, but rather ABYC is now accepted as an alternate to the already existing specs.

I don't know any of the details of the existing Canadian specs, but perhaps someone here does and could comment of the degree to which ABYC has stricter requirements, or if it's actually a relaxation of requirements?

As I read this, There isn't a new requirement for build specs for Canadian boats, but rather ABYC is now accepted as an alternate to the already existing specs.

I don't know any of the details of the existing Canadian specs, but perhaps someone here does and could comment of the degree to which ABYC has stricter requirements, or if it's actually a relaxation of requirements?

ABYC are much more thorough than existing Canadian law which you can read here ..... https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp1332-menu-521.htm

USCG is also working on this with the plan being to do away with Canada's TP133E and USCG to do away with the CFR's (for pleasure craft only), all to be replaced with ABYC.
They already have an MOU. Timing ...... who knows, it's government. This has long been in the works.

A slight overstatement. The old law is still the law, though now the ABYC Standards are an acceptable alternative, so long as the Canadian Modifications are applied.

The old law is still the law and now ABYC is now part of that law. I see no overstatement.

This is not completely new. Many parts of ABYC have been incorporated into TP1332 over the last 20 years and were already part of the law.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom