View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #113
fractalphreak

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
this will be the first time I've anchored overnight on my own. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly nervous about that last bit, but she's holding like a champ so far.

Another big first for today was a hot shower aboard. You read that right, a hot shower. I finally decided to feed that damnable thermostatic valve to the local swan, and just installed a different unit. It's a cheap RV job, but it works, and even looks good enough that I'm happy to leave it alone until it breaks.
You make me laugh, a professional mariner nervous about anchoring a tiny little boat?! I get it though, when its all you and its all your world, its somehow different.

The hot shower makes me laugh too, because I too spent the weekend on boat projects, and out of the three I struck out on two and finished one (new galley sink drain hose and fix leaky sink.) It turns out that someone in Taiwan decided to make custom sized stainless sink drains back in the 1980's, and everyone here laughed at me when I tried to find a new one. My final solution when the threads stripped? Epoxy a barb fitting onto the dang thing, epoxy lasts forever! Victory is mine! And now I replaced that dang stinky hose and the boat smells better!

Its the little things. Glad to hear there is showers going on there, that and some fresh fruit and you'll arrive without the scurvy and smelling fresh for the ladies ARRGGHHHH!