Crapppppp....crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlamb15

Veteran Member
Well as the title may suggest.......there was a slight mishap on Lost Shaker II on Monday. While pulling out of the slip, the flybridge shifter cables broke...(somewhere) and was in forward.....nothing major just "bumped" the dock. Now I guess I will need to replace all the cables...
Has anyone done this on a 38 Californian ?
James

I had to replace the throttle an ship cable and install an extra one for the bowthruster modification which are 30 ft runs. The east I have found is connect the new cable to the old before pulling the old cable out, which will thread/install the new cable. Took two of us, one pulling and one pushing the cables. To make sure I bought the same length cable I ran 4 strand electrical wire which I left in place and used it for other applictions over the years. Usually when I run something I like to run extra as it usually comes in handy later.

It shouldn't be that big a deal. Just pull the old cable out. Measure it, to buy the correct length cable and replace it. I just did mine. Just a bit of grunting and groaning to run the new cable through the race. It's nice to have help on this.
SD

I would strongly recommend that you go with the new highly flexible ones. I can't remember their name, but any supplier would know what you're referring to. (They can almost be tied in knots and still work perfectly). The cable lengths should also be marked on the cable ends to assist in ordering new. No guarantees on the latter though.

Cables come in series, some are far stronger

The series 3300 works fine on minor loads but there is a heavier 4400? series.

Look on the site of the cable guys and get the biggest that will match the end fittings you have.

FF

Well, got lucky.......I'm an idiot......no bad cables.....just snapped off the gear for the shift box control........whew!!! how do i upload an image ? i have no idea what the link it is?
james

James, select the advanced editor at the bottom of the post reply box, and sort of follow the prompts...it's really quite straightforward, but would take a bit to describe in detail.

Great news, James!! Glad it's looking like an easier fix.

After selecting 'Post Reply', scroll down and look for the 'Manage Attachment' button. That should allow you to post images.

ahhhhhh, thank you....now im only 1/2 idiot.....not only did I run the boat into the dock next to us....as evident by the pics......i had to have help posting the evidence....

Attachments

• stuff 012.jpg
    stuff 012.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 78
  • stuff 013.jpg
    stuff 013.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 82
  • stuff 008.jpg
    stuff 008.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 80

Latest posts

Back