View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #71
Pau Hana
Pau Hana's Avatar

City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,085
Originally Posted by emilanderson View Post
It depends on state law and depends on the insurance company. Here in WA state floating homes vs houseboats some insurance companies insure them as a home and some as a boat. Also, depends on if you live in it as primary or airbnb/rent it. Ask around and get quotes. Guarantee you the insurance brokers generally have no idea a floating home could be insured as a regular home. Some insure it as a boat but then have increased personal property coverage and then price it at home rates. I have seen it all in the NW.
I respectfully disagree- I am very well versed in the floating home vs houseboat and boat B&B markets. They are VERY different.

Most marine insurers consider B&B exposures as bareboat rentals, and therefore exclude that exposure. The tragedy happens when a claim occurs during a B&B rental, and that claim is declined because of the exposure. As much as the vessel owner wants to assume there is coverage, the policy language is the reality they must live with.

What determines whether a risk is a floating home or houseboat- as a start:
  • Is it self powered?
  • Is is registered as a boat?
  • Construction - hull or stick built on a non-propelled barge?

The same tenets that apply for vessels apply for houseboats with regards to B&B. Floating homes, as they cannot get underway, can be endorsed for the rental exposure.
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote