Thread: Engine question
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Lepke
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Those are high hp engines for a not so big boat. I assume it goes fast. You have the usual problems of exhaust gas temperatures and engine lifespan. MAN makes a good, reliable engine. My experience is the big engines and parts are available world wide. But it's not like parts for a US made engine. There is a big parts depot on the East Coast, don't know of one out west. On ship engines, ordered parts will be waiting at your next port or flown out to you for lots of $.
You don't have the ease of parts in every state and every big city like with Cat, Cummins, or Detroit. I don't know the availability of trained MAN mechanics. Non MAN mechanics are not going to have the diagnostic tools needed on all newer engines. The typical marina mechanic will probably have no experience with MAN. Because MAN isn't as widely used in the US, there aren't aftermarket parts. So everything is whatever price MAN charges.

Compared to Volvo? A steam engine would be better than a Volvo. At least a blacksmith shop could make you a part.
You might try https://www.yachtforums.com/. Mostly East Coast, bigger yachts, and more MAN engines there.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote