Pity me today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Ahhh...1980's technology.

Late fall boating around here has our old cast iron Washington Stove Works beast of a diesel stove running during the day.

After reading a story here on TF recommending having fire extinguishers one size larger than Coast Guard regulations require (they put out their diesel stove fire with the last gasp from the last fire extinguisher :eek: ) we don't run the stove unattended at night or when we're off the boat photographing/hiking.

Still, for whatever reason, last weekend the fan decided to slow down for about half an hour resulting in dreaded diesel soot building up in the stove, in the chimney, and falling on the pilothouse roof.

Luckily, I painted the roof with a white rubber elastomeric roofing paint and most of the soot came off with a wet rag and some scrubbing while still in the anchorage. Today is take things apart and clean the innards day.

Pity me!

Any tips for cleaning the guts of old diesel stoves or chimney parts?

Last edited:
I can't speak to diesel stoves but I learned a trick many years ago when I had a wood stove in my home. I'd go up on the roof with a length of light chain long enough to reach down into the stove. After removing the roof cap I'd lower the chain then swirl it in the chimney at varying speeds. The chain rubbed against the inside walls of the chimney and cleaned all the soot off.

Once I was done, the chain was kind of greasy from the soot so I had a pair of gloves on to raise it and put it into a heavy canvas bag for storage.

I have a recollection that carbon tetrachloride will remove soot. I have no idea if it also removes skin or body parts...If it does work let us know as I occasionally get soot on my roof at startup?

Last edited:
I have a recollection that carbon tetrachloride will remove soot. I have no idea if it also removes skin or body parts...If it does work let us know as I occasionally get soot on my roof at startup?

Use in a well ventilated area. Open all the doors and windows, oh, and be prepared for a BIG headache.

Red Devil soot remover. Makes the fire hotter with less fuel. Comes as a liquid for diesel and powder for wood/coal fires. 1oz/10gl. You can use more, but be careful at hotter settings. Soot is from too much fuel, not enough air during combustion. If the stove has a blower, run it at a higher speed. If it doesn't, you can add a small blower with a little creative thinking. I've added blowers to stoves in the past.
A taller chimney also will increase draft. Using #1 diesel in the stove helps. The stove should be able to burn kerosene.

So Murray, any idea why the fan slowed down?

Fired up the diesel stove in my Farrell this week to dry out the boat a bit, nice heater!

Carbon tetrachloride also does a really good job on your liver!!!! It causes potentially fatal liver necrosis. While it used as fire retardant in old (brass) fire extinguishers it probably put down as many users as fires!!

Carbon tetrachloride fumes are toxic. It was still being used when I was a kid. During WWII a couple submarines came down with whole crews sick after someone brought a small can aboard.

Got the bulk of it off with biodegradable camping soap and now our 30' boat looks pretty good...from 30' away. Step closer and you can see soot fleck smudges in the gelcoat. They fell mostly on the visor and forward cabin roof below the pilothouse windows. I'll go at it lightly with a Magic Eraser next to see if that gets the last of it.

Am now seriously considering painting more of the boat with white rubber elastomeric roof coating. Most of the diesel soot came off in one wipe with a damp paper towel and the rest completely came off with a wipe from a clean second towel. The unpainted gelcoat areas sucked it in pretty deep.

Didn't want to deconstruct the chimney (parts well stuck together even after unscrewing sections) so spent some time giving it a good hand whacking top to bottom which shook things loose enough drop into the stove. Probably pulled out four cups worth of crap.

Fired the stove up afterwards for a while...no soot :thumb:

Last edited:
Murray, don;t you have a fibreglass roof?
That product is for elastomeric roofing materials, normally found on cheap trailers and cheap motorhomes. Usually needs replacing on a frequent basis.
Far better to keep your roof waxed, then cleanup is easy, even when the stove misbehaves.

Yup, old fibreglass roof. Put it on several years ago. Nothing has penetrated or stained it, including rusty crab traps. Very pleased with it so far, and no sign of needing a new coat.

This isn't the same as the cheap roofs on rv's and campers...it's the solution, or remedy, to their leaking.

Last edited:
I am used to Dickinson ranges , but yours should burn clean.

Check the smoke head , the small Bridet top is sensitive to cross winds.

An H style smoke head is required in many marinas where the breeze will change direction .

Once you suffer a blow back the burner gets too cool , and becomes a smudge pot.

A shop vac will clean the range and exhaust pipes.

Also be sure the low setting on the burner is not made even lower by a coked up fuel feed pipe.

Last edited:
Murray, can that stuff be painted, will paint adhere to Superior roof coating OK or is it too slippery for good adherence?

Thanks!

Why not use an appropriately sized chimney brush on a pole or stick. I do my wood heated house every year. I generally get soot and dust but nothing flammable.( I start each day with a very hot fire)

If you can't find the right diameter brush, buy one slightly larger and trim the bristles with side cutters.

pete

I too have a fiberglass roof that has 3 or 4 penetrations. Typically, the boat is stored indoors but this past fall, we had 3 steady days of drenching rains and we had leaks we never had before. The cabin roof is 8' wide with a slight crown and 9' long. Do you think the Superior Roof coating might solve me problem? Were there any special preparation steps needed before applying the coating? Thanks in advance!

I think if you have leaks, it's better to fix than simply coat over them.

Don't think any paint will stick to this stuff. Kind of a 'no going back' kind of thing; that's why I only did the pilothouse and saloon roofs. They were textured already so aren't slippery underfoot.

Lots of people paint their fibreglass. This isn't so different. I'll try it on the edges and vertical overhangs on the saloon roof next, then maybe the visor if that goes well. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with a stain proof boat that cleans up with one wipe from a wet rag and a quick spray from a hose.

Our boat is steeped in workboat heritage and has no intention of being a mirror finished gleaming yacht.

Ahhh...1980's technology.

Late fall boating around here has our old cast iron Washington Stove Works beast of a diesel stove running during the day.

After reading a story here on TF recommending having fire extinguishers one size larger than Coast Guard regulations require (they put out their diesel stove fire with the last gasp from the last fire extinguisher :eek: ) we don't run the stove unattended at night or when we're off the boat photographing/hiking.

Still, for whatever reason, last weekend the fan decided to slow down for about half an hour resulting in dreaded diesel soot building up in the stove, in the chimney, and falling on the pilothouse roof.

Luckily, I painted the roof with a white rubber elastomeric roofing paint and most of the soot came off with a wet rag and some scrubbing while still in the anchorage. Today is take things apart and clean the innards day.

Pity me!

Any tips for cleaning the guts of old diesel stoves or chimney parts?

That was me using 24 year old fire extinguishers on the diesel stove fire. Hard way to learn how to find the date on the extinguisher. Been a fire extinguisher expert ever since.

That was me using 24 year old fire extinguishers on the diesel stove fire. Hard way to learn how to find the date on the extinguisher. Been a fire extinguisher expert ever since.

Thanks for sharing the story...that little pebble of wisdom just might ripple out in the pond to save someones else's boat/life :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom