Old 10-31-2019, 05:51 PM   #18
ben2go
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm trying to find hatch locks that are operable from both sides of the hatch. These are for the hatches in the cockpit floor, leading to the laz below, and are commonly found on many boats. They typically have handles that fold flush to the deck, and that flip up and turn to open the hatch. But they all seem to be operable from the outside only, preventing escape from inside the laz. The dive boat fire in California has me carefully reviewing escape paths on our boat, and getting out via the laz is an important route. Except you can open the hatch from inside.

So the question is whether anyone has or has seen latch mechanisms like this that are operable from both sides? We have found one with an emergency release and have ordered a sample, but for a variety of reasons I an skeptical about how well it will work in practice. Worst case we will station a tool by the exit so the lock can be disassembled, but that's not a desirable approach.

I'd appreciate any leads, and will be scouring FLIBS and METZ over the next days and month..

This is something I was thinking about too. My boat plans show double access hatches in the floor of the pilothouse with a door under the companion way steps, ala sail boat. It would be nice to have the ability to open the hatch(es) from inside the ER if needed. The door under the companion way steps are for pre-trip/pre-start inspections. The pilot house floor hatches are for service and repair work as well as removal of the engine, genset, etc... If something isn't right, it would be nice to pop open a hatch from below without having to leave the ER, reset the companion way steps, open the hatch(es), and crawl down inside the ER. It's a convenience thing for me. I can be a bit impatient and lazy at times.

My idea was to custom fabricate latches out of SS paddle style tool box latches. All that would be needed is a bolt mounted to the back side of the latch slide.

https://www.amazon.com/Buyers-Produc...language=en_US

Flush mount latch.

Add a bolt to the back of the latch slide.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote