Genset Timer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilanderson

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tusen Takk
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Does anyone know of any way to put your genset on a timer? I ask because there has been some times where I dont want to run it all night long (it is okay that it might) but maybe only run it until say midnight or 1am? Or even a way to set it to run only for say 4 hours. I dont need anything super high tech.

use cases: wanting heat to run into the night but not ALL night. Need to top off charging into night because I forgot to run it earlier in the day. I am having my 2x 4D house batteries die by2/3am at anchor with cause still TBD... and etc these kinds of things.

Thoughts?

A timer and a relay. Depending on the generator, the relay could interrupt the stop solenoid or activate a pull type stop solenoid. The relay may need to be timed where it comes on for a few seconds and then shuts off. Hard to detail without a wiring diagram. A marine electrician should be able to set it up for you.

Ideally it should isolate the generator output before shutdown. Shutting it down under load isn't ideal.

"I am having my 2x 4D house batteries die by2/3am at anchor with cause still TBD"

Even deep cycle batts suffer loss of capacity if run down too far.

Most modern generators have a provision for an automated fire suppression system to shut the system down. This is either a circuit run normally closed or normally open. If not covered in the installation manual, the information is probably available from the manufacturer.

If I were going to do that, I would want the generator lightly loaded when it shuts down. My Onan specifies a one minute cool down after removing a heavy load before shut down.

Ted

The RV industry has solutions for this mostly provided by inverter manufacturers. Although there are a few stand alones that start a genset based on battery voltage and run for a preset time. Suggest you look in that direction.

Standby generators for houses have a provision after the power comes back on the generator is disconnected via a contactor and then the generator runs for about 3 minutes to cool down and then shuts off. Might contact standby gen makers for the logic.

Terry

All gensets should come with a timer that only lets them run between 10AM and 4PM.

:hide:

Our Onan MDKD says 5 minutes no load before shutdown.
I see the problem of manual shutdown when running ac at night, you will be asleep. Awake, I use a kitchen electronic countdown timer when running the genset, and for the shutdown period.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom