Interior lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obx

I have a 89 42ft Grand Banks Classic and want to upgrade the interior ceiling lights. I did install LED bulbs in them but the brightest bulb is not bright enough. I want to keep the original wood trim around the lights. Does anyone know a company I could contact?.

dimensions are 14" lg x 4" wide x 2" deep

P/s it appears the grand banks forum has crashed so I couldn't ask the question on there.

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 68
What do the light fixtures look like behind the covers? It might be possible to put a different (brighter) fixture in there behind the original covers and trim.

Thanks guys,

rslifkin, just a white plastic inerliner with a bulb connection at either end.

Greetings,
Mr. OBX. I second Mr. R's "fix". Need more light? Gang up the light bar strips. An alternative to an actual light bar might be multiple lengths of flexible LED strips. Mount (glue) a piece of rigid plastic (as large as will fit) inside the fixture that you can stick the flexible strips to. Flexible LED can be cut to whatever length you desire and come with peel and stick backing, hence the preinstalled rigid plastic mentioned above.
You can buy the flexible stuff in 50' rolls.

What do the light fixtures look like behind the covers? It might be possible to put a different (brighter) fixture in there behind the original covers and trim.
I agree! I just finished having all my ER lights changed out. (6-12v & 6-110v) I just changed the bulbs in the original 12v fixtures with much brighter LEDS. The original 110v fixtures were old & yellowed plastic so I replaced them with 2 foot long 110 LED fixtures. The only added wire run was running a 12v wire between the engines on the ceiling for 2- 1 foot long LED fixtures. All bulbs and fixtures were purchased from Home Depot and total time to install everything (not counting Home depot run) was about 4 hours.

My point in all this? We tend to complicate and overthink many boat systems when a little logic and simplification goes a long way.

Attachments

• ER Lights (12 & 110v).jpg
    ER Lights (12 & 110v).jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 66
  • ER lighting.jpg
    ER lighting.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 60
We have the same fixtures. The original 12" flourescents were pathetic. We replaced them with 12" LED light strips from Lunasea. Here is a post I did about it in 2012. More Light, Less Power | M/V Archimedes – An Old Grand Banks 42. They have worked flawlessly since we installed them. Superbrightleds.com has a few options that might work also. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/rigid-light-bars/

I did this too, in the bathroom light fixture. The light it puts out is outstanding, even in the furthest corners and crevices of the room! My mast light is also LunaSea, and has a sensor that turns it on and off based on ambient light. Love their products!

I agree! I just finished having all my ER lights changed out. (6-12v & 6-110v) I just changed the bulbs in the original 12v fixtures with much brighter LEDS. The original 110v fixtures were old & yellowed plastic so I replaced them with 2 foot long 110 LED fixtures. The only added wire run was running a 12v wire between the engines on the ceiling for 2- 1 foot long LED fixtures. All bulbs and fixtures were purchased from Home Depot and total time to install everything (not counting Home depot run) was about 4 hours.

My point in all this? We tend to complicate and overthink many boat systems when a little logic and simplification goes a long way.

Damn. Spotless!

So impressive.

Would you mind sharing the model number of the fixtures you installed?

Would you mind sharing the model number of the fixtures you installed?
The 2 footers are Lithonia 2' Integrated LED Surface Lighta and the 1 footers are not listed but are by the same manufacturer. BTW...The 2 footers were $54.59 ea!:banghead:

Attachments

• 2' Lithonia LED Fixture & Lights.jpg
    2' Lithonia LED Fixture & Lights.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I re-did almost all of the lighting throughout Rendezvous late last year/early this year and used a mix of marine products, but mostly stuff from SuperBrightLEDs.com

New LED lighting everywhere

For some things it makes sense to use marine stuff (nav lights, etc.) but in most cases, I've found better quality of light (super important to me) and much cheaper options from non-marine sources.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom