My First Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boater_mike

Vessel Name
Corda Lee
Vessel Make
1973 Grand Banks
Howdy Yall!! (yep...TEXAS)

My wife and I just got our first trawler a few weeks back. A Classic 1973 Grand Banks 36. SOLID glass and built like a tank.

But...she is a mess. Though it is a usable 'project' boat, I'll be bringing her back to what she looked like in 1973 looks with modern amenities. I'm still young enough to DIY everything, and so I'll be posting lots of pics and findings as I go.

We've (me) always wanted a GB36 and this was one we could afford without busting the bank and still retire. This is the last boat we'll likely own, so get ready for a long, slow, refit ride.

Regards,
Mike

Genuinely excited.

Mike,

I am genuinely excited to see the before, during, and after pictures of your work. How much work exactly are we talking about? Like everything? Decks, stringers, driveline, fuel tanks, windows, and more? As long as you went in eyes open it should be an amazing journey. I wish you the best of luck, expediency, and happy nautical miles. Bill

You know, there are only two kinds of Grand Banks owners in Texas............................:)

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. Of course you know we need photos... If I remember correctly 1973 is the first year GB built fiberglass boats. I love working on boats and sounds like you are in line for some fun! We started pulling our port engine today in order to replace the port fuel tank. Hopefully we will get it out tomorrow if everything goes well. Keep us informed about your progress on your new baby.

Almost everything

I went into this with eyes open. I knew it would be a lot of work.

As for everything...eventually yes. Some things are fine and just need an update. Flybridge deck is most critical right now. I start that project this weekend.

Morons were hired to "refurbish" the flybridge. As best I can tell, they literally coated everything with Bondo. I thought some paint had bubbled up on one of the seats due to some water penetration. Not so. It was a "hard" bubble. I "popped" it with my rigging knife and it started chipping away with what looks to be about 1/8" coating of bondo-like, hard as rock type of material.

The teak deck on the flybridge was not removed, but was simply glassed over. Yes, you heard me right. Not good fiberglass either, but very rough. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

The lower decks look to be solid, all windows leak and need replaced/refurb, fuel tanks look ok for now. There is one fuel tank for the Genny that has some rust at the bottom, but it's not plumbed for use, and is empty.

I just got it back from the yard where I replaced 3 seacocks/thru-hulls that were stuck open, and had the bottom painted. The real surprise there was the bottom looks like it had glass treatment done a while back, it is was absolutely beautiful - not one blister. I was totally shocked. It is VERY solid hull. The hull topcoat looks like it was applied with a roller. So sad.

Like I said. It's a mess, but I can also see what it will look like with about 7 years effort. I'll post pics as I can.

-Mike

Thanks Dave!

Wow! Fuel tanks. I hoping these will carry on a few more years. I think they'll eventually have to go though. Good Luck with the replacement. I'm curious at what i am looking at when that time comes.

good luck with your new boat. We like to see pics as mentioned before. Lots of experienced GB owners here to help you.

Congrats on the retirement plan to keep busy. I thought I was alone.
Looking forward to watching your progress.

Congratulations and hope every task is easier than predicted

"Morons were hired to "refurbish" the flybridge."
Unfortunately there is no shortage of these.

Congratulations. Working on your boat is a great way to stay busy.

We had a 73 GB 36. Built early part of 73 and was still wood. One of the very last ones. It was one of only 6 built called the "Hawaii Fisherman. No aft cabin, just a HUGE back deck covered witha large bimini! Great boat. Try not to tear so much up at any one time so that it prevents it from being used. Good luck with your new family member!

Back
Top Bottom