Thread: lithium ?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #51
RickyD
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
[QUOTE=twistedtree;812749]Something in the 1400ah @ 24V range. It's probably serious overkill, but without a solid understanding of the electric loads, I'd rather err on the side of too much rather than too little. And that's nameplate rating, so figure 80-90% of that is usable.

Part of the uncertainty is because I haven't finalized what batteries I'm going to use, and they come if different quanta of capacity. Plus I'm leaning towards a redundant setup with two banks, so the capacity steps are pairs of batteries.. Several vendors sell ~300Ah batteries, so a bank of 4 would be 1200 ah, and 6 would jump up to 1800ah.[/QUOTE

What about cranking power with LiPo? I would like to replace my 4 LA 8Ds and pick up more amp hours. With my two refrigerator freezers, one of which draws 6.5 amps at 120v so I guess 70 amps at 12v through the inverter, I draw down my bank overnight and have to run the genset for hours to charge back up in the morning and again in the evening. My current set up is the start battery and two other 8Ds are the house bank, and the other 8D is the start for the port engine. This way I always have a start battery. I also have a battery combiner. Can I use LiPo for starting my 3208 Cats?