Old 10-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
menzies
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge View Post
Very cool! I had one installer tell me that when using a front Vu like that, you almost need two transducers; one for this front vu, and a traditional one for just straight down, is that what you're doing? It could be due to the front vu not being made for straight down depths....(?)
Also, it would be interesting to know this question: if front vu picks up an obstruction, say a log or deadhead in front of you, at what speed would you be going in order to be able to stop in time to avoid the obstruction (assuming you were looking at display)?
I know people have debated the utility, but I still agree it is a cool toy...
I actually have two other depth sounders - one B&G And one RayMarine.

As to obstructions - it looks up to 100 foot ahead so basically two boat lengths. Not sure how much of a help that would be - so eyes first!

The utility for us is in our usual cruising grounds. You wouldn't believe the number of times in the AICW, the Bahamas, or entering rivers for anchoring where we are going dead slow and feeling our way because of the depth and confusing channels. It also doesn't help that I am comfortable slowly going along with a foot or two under the keel in sandy bottoms (e.g. inside Luggers in the Abacos!).

So where previously we had to go to dead stop and prod our way along, I can come to dead stop and swing the bow back and forward to find a path - that's the theory anyway!

Will report back after more actual underway use.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote