View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #53
Tom.B
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Those AC Delco starters can get wanky fast. Especially after repeated high-heat cycles. If the starter ever "hangs" or stops during starting attempts, the current does NOT stop flowing, but is converted directly into heat. The same heat that is cooking your starter is cooking your connectors, destroying your insulation on the wires, thus, adding corrosion and more wire resistance.

I will share that I had the same problem as you. I pulled the starter and took it to a starter/alternator shop in New Bern, NC. Two of the six brushed had failed and he completely rebuilt the starter for less than $100. (Later we DID find out he left a thrust bushing off and the starter would stick while starting so it cost us another rebuild job in Wilmington, NC to get it fixed.) After the ordeal, we purchased a gear reduction starter as a backup. It will eventually be installed as the primary when time allows. It was about $275 brand new.

Now, saying that, over the past few weeks, I have been upgrading the DC charging system. One of the big projects was to replace the old, crappy, cheap, POS, poorly installed lugs on the battery and starter wires. I purchased a nice crimping tool and Quick Cable Magna lugs from Grainger. Even after the starter rebuild (about a year ago), turning the key for us STILL caused us a lot of anxiety as Dr. Perky (yes, our engine has a name) would strain to get turned up. However, after this past weekend's completion of the wiring upgrade, I have never heard her start more quickly and more strongly.

I hope this helps.

Tom-