View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #24
stevemitchell

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 420 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If you don't want or need to leave the heaters on all the time, Thermocube turns on at 35F and off at 45. Rated for 15 amps, under $20 on eBay. Cubes come in other temp ranges, for turning on AC, etc. I use them to turn on my Detroit engine block heaters in cold weather. If I leave them on (1500 watts each) the engineroom is 70 in a few hours in zero weather. Having them on the Cubes keeps the engineroom about 40 and protects the generators and plumbing. Although since I live aboard, I've never measured below 34 in zero weather w/o heat in the engineroom.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8701.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	95774

You mean this? I have a funny story about mine.... It was in the engine room plugged in when I bought the boat, and a few weeks after, I needed to plug something in down there.

I was scratching my head trying to figure out why the AC outlet wasn't working, flipping breakers, and eventually just unplugged what I thought was an odd thing to have in the engine room - a splitter on an outlet that likely does not get much use.

It wasn't until a couple months afterwards that I realized it was a temp controlled Thermo Cube

I think I'd want one with a slightly higher temp level for my setup. But I have one
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote