catalinajack
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
This from ABYC.

“The only AC neutral to ground (connecting the white wire to a green wire) connections on board are made at generators or inverters, and then only when they are invert mode. Additionally, if the boat is equipped with an isolation transformer, then the boat side of the transformer becomes a new source of AC power and therefore a neutral to ground link is established.

The mistake the land based electricians will often make is to link the neutral and grounding buss bars behind the main power distribution panels on the boat. This simple error will create a situation where as each AC appliance gets turned on, more and more current from the appliances that would normally return to its source via the neutral conductor gets dumped into the boat’s grounding system.

Combine that with a bit of not so great dock wiring and the current enters the water via a through-hull fitting, creating a potentially lethal situation for swimmers near your boat.

The lesson here? Keep your cousin Vinny the licensed electrician away from your boat’s AC wiring until he gets some training on MARINE electricity. My shameless plug? Make sure the person working on your boat’s electrical system is ABYC certified in electricity.”

https://abycinc.org/blogpost/1678504...t-Tips?tag=ESD
I found that - the neutral and safety busbars bonded together - on my boat two years ago. I looked for it, and found it, after reading about its ill affects here.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote