Old 10-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #56
Vashon_Trawler
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not sure a Western Union splice satisfys ABYC mechanical requirement (should)...some experts do and then this would be fine if you are confident the solder is really doing it's job.

From Wikipedia...

However, when examined in tensile strength ("pull") tests by NASA on 16 and 22 AW gauge wire, even the short tie variation of the Western Union splice performed well after soldering: when spliced and soldered carefully to standard instructions, the test splices never failed at the splice (instead breaking outside of the splice area), leaving NASA to conclude that "the solder connection at the splice was as strong or stronger than the un-spliced wires."[2][3]

I am a ham radio operator who builds his own wire antenna arrays and equipment and am very familiar with the Western Union Splice. I am not surprised by the NASA results. I have several low band dipole antennas with WU splices and the copper wire would break well before the splice. I don't see anything wrong with a soldered WU splice covered with quality marine shrink tubing. It will be more durable and far stronger than any butt connection!