Steering system check valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianSmith

Vessel Name
Smartini
Vessel Make
2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
We have two helm stations, Raymarine autopilot. Occasionally, when the autopilot is making a correction, the wheel actually moves a little bit. Never much, and if I have my feet on the wheel (which I often do, leaning back in the chair), I can keep it from moving when this happens.

I believe it happens because the check valves (one-way valves? not sure of the correct term) are not completely free flowing in one direction, or maybe they're flowing a little in the direction they're not supposed to flow in.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

It appears to be a Kobelt 7005 pump. There is no separate fluid tank - each wheel turns something inside the pump, and that moves the fluid through the system.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
You say the wheel moves a little bit. A little bit can mean different things to different people but to me a little movement in the wheel (jerk) would not bother me so long as the autopilot was steering a correct course. If a little bit means the wheel moves a half turn then that could be the signs of a problem requiring some attention. Not all hydraulic autopilot systems have check valves in them.

Mine moves a little bit also. Maybe 2 or 3 degrees each time the pump cycles.
It's not a big deal.

You could have some air in the system. The pump comes on, compresses the air then everything jumps a little.

I have Capilano steering and it moves a degree or two during autopilot.

It did not move under AP at all until I increased the hydraulic tubing diameter, installed a larger capacity AP pump and moved the reservalve to the stern of the boat. It was previously located near the helm.

It's been this way for 19 years. I've not been concerned since the AP functions per design.

"A little bit" is perhaps an inch or two, and it's a big wheel, so not much movement at all.

Since my original post, I confirmed the type of pump (Kobelt 7005), and confirmed that there is a valve to prevent rudder feedback, so if the problem ever gets worse, I'll know what to do about it.

Thanks, all - I won't worry about it!

Back
Top Bottom