What's in a name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bumping this thread up for our newer members to enjoy and post the story of their own boat's name!

I'll bite.

Our new-to-us trawler will be named C:\[ESC] (pronouncing it Sea Escape). It is a nod to my computer programming background and career. Like I said in my intro, my wife is a bit worried that it screams "there go the geeks".. but I am one.
wink.gif

At the same time it references the reason we have a boat in the first place -- it is our escape;* An escape from the everyday hustle and bustle of work, school, chores, etc. Our boats have always been our vacation home - a floating reprieve from normal life, just 20 minutes down the freeway.

Our previous boats were all named Comfortably Numb. This was primarily a reference to the first date my wife and I ever went on -- a laser light show of Pink Floyd's The Wall. It was also we felt aboard in the PNW : since we cruise year round, the rain can be numbingly cold... but the boat still made it comfortable. We never had a problem with any drug connotations either.

-- Edited by mattkab on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 11:48:30 AM

OK, I bought the -Irish Miss and had a couple names picked out for her, as it turned out, I took possetion of her on St. Paddys day, thought Id just leave her as the Irish Miss. BB

I have no idea what it means!*Couple of pretty cool boats though.******** KJ

download.spark

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 16th of February 2012 12:31:10 PM

Jolly Time
Should be pretty self explanatory!! If not check out my profile.

Jolly is my last name!!! I guess it doesnt show in the profile anymore.

SCAN0028.jpg
This is one brave man.

Our Gulfstar 36 came with the name "Pygmalion Too", which has absolutely no meaning for us. As we restore her, we will wait for inspiration from her and change the name. So far, the most obvious has been Little F***er, but I'm sure she will show her sweet side to us.

Bilgewater, please be gentle and respectful when renaming your boat.

"Kismet" was her name when we purchased her and the name was perfect. The admiral and I both knew (and loved) the definition. It's an Indian term meaning "fate or destiny". Needless to say, the name stuck. We actually requested/required that the name convey in the sale....

"Tina Marie" which is my fiancee who is the love of my life and also puts up with my crazy ideas.

Can't imagine using any other name, plus it sounds like a great name for my first boat.

Good idea. It's not as permanent as a tattoo.

Gents
My boat will be Rainha Jannota. My wife's name is Jana and "jannota" is an adjective used in Portuguese to address a well dressed and tiddy person. Rainha means queen, and as she has been the queen of the house for 36 years, the boat ended up being Rainha Jannota.

Fernando

Not to worry, markpierce, we will be loving and gentle and appropriate when she reveals her identity to us. Having said that, I've always like "SNAFU MARU", seems appropriate at times.

When we bought our boat it was named Pegasus, I couldn't understand naming a slow boat after a flying horse. We changed the name to Lilli Belle because my wife's mother's name is Lilli and her dad called her Lilli Belle. We made the change shortly after they both passed.

Oldies but goodies

You may have seen these before .....

Never mind - too much hassle

Last edited:
When we bought our boat it was named Pegasus, I couldn't understand naming a slow boat after a flying horse. We changed the name to Lilli Belle ...

You didn't sufficiently appreciate the irony.

"Lerylynn", named for my wife Lynn who is a little leary about this whole idea.

"The Office" is name of our Tolly, where we hold BIG Meetings! :socool: & :smitten:

"Water Cooler" is name of our tow behind runabout, where we tell secrets! :ermm: & :dance:

1:30 PM today our daughter gave birth to "Harlow Brooks". This baby girl means some very special things to wife and me... 1. Harlow was conceived on our Tolly last 4th O' July weekend. 2. Today is my birthday too... Now how special do you think this little girl is to my wife and I - Yup - BEST B-Day present I'll ever experience or see!!

Attachments

• The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 87
  • Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
1:30 PM today our daughter gave birth to "Harlow Brooks". This baby girl means some very special things to wife and me... 1. Harlow was conceived on our Tolly last 4th O' July weekend. 2. Today is my birthday too... Now how special do you think this little girl is to my wife and I - Yup - BEST B-Day present I'll ever experience or see!!

Happy birthday and congratulations!! :dance:

"Lerylynn", named for my wife Lynn who is a little leary about this whole idea.

Naming the boat after your wife should net you at least a couple of x-tra trips out with just the guys. :thumb:
SD

ART & FAMILY.
MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL. HAVE A LOT OF YEARS AHEAD OF YOU TO SEE HARLOW GROWING INTO A GREAT HUMAN BEING!

CONGRATS. iT IS A BLESSING TO HAVE KITS! YET, HAVING GRAN-KITS IS A REWARD!!

Jana & Fernando

Thank you - - > Yo, and Jennifer, and Jana & Fernando for all your best wishes toward baby Harlow and our family!! :D :thumb: :smitten:

Selah
A pause for reflection and contemplation.
I fly airplanes for gas and rent money and I need that pause.

Cary'd Away

A play on my last name and reputation when it comes to adventure, or that mater anything else I get involved in.

A play on my last name and reputation when it comes to adventure, or that mater anything else I get involved in.

I hope to see you on the Delta this year. We are moving the boat from San Mateo to Delta Bay Marina tomorrow.

mattkab wrote...

"Our previous boats were all named Comfortably Numb. This was primarily a reference to the first date my wife and I ever went on -- a laser light show of Pink Floyd's The Wall."

I have a boating friend who has (I think still has), a Clipper 34 - the new version of my boat, called Comfortably Numb also, and for much the same reason, I think - ie great Pink Floyd fan.

Back
Top Bottom