View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
RonR
Guru

City: Everett WA.
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Varnish, first time...

I am wanting to re-varnish the rails, steps, ladder, doors. I can take everything but the rails off and bring them home this winter and tackle them one by one. I got the book Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood: Rebecca J. Wittman. I have read it twice and will use it as a reference once I start. After a few months of research my wife asked me a simple question that I never thought about. She asked what year was that book written and has anything new came out in the last 18 years that is better to use. Before her question I was leaning towards Interlux Schooner Varnish, as my local shop has every product they make and plenty in stock. I believe the current finish on the boat is also Schooner as I have found two open cans tucked away with a few bits of sandpaper and some foam brushes, the stuff that is out of the weather looks good still and I know it has not been touched for 5 years or more.

The shop owners state its user friendly for my first time, and Rebecca Wittman calls it out in her book as one she used often. My only prior experience was with some seat backs I used a water based clear on, they look good, but have no UV protection (inside a car). So I understand most of the steps needed to create a deep gloss with no dirt/dog hair/dust and how long it takes to build up just a few coats in a controlled environment.

So without starting world war 3 on swapping to Cetol Marine or painting it, any other recommendations? I love the look, I'm able to physically do it, and I understand that once I go down this road.. it never ends.

Our boat is a 1971 Egg Harbor Sport Fisher, it has a full camper canvas on the rear and the boat is under cover in the harbor. We live in Everett Washington and I know some brands do better in the PNW than others.

I have read a little on a two part system, but the shop owners state its best left to a professional. If there are other treads on this topic please send them my way, I did a simple search but found most are going to Cetol or paint.

Thank you

Ron R.
Attached Thumbnails
71egg.jpg  
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote