The SLOT - or watch the doughnut not the hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nomadwilly wrote:
Mark.........I've got one of those to smack into the beach to keep the dinghy from blow'in away.
*Eric, if I had a dinghy, it's likely I would have bought the little claw.

Hi Eric, yes...good to see you back. Anchor discussion has been the poorer for your absence.

The slot

Well I've ended up with a Super Sarca with a slot - and a new bowsprit also despite various criticisms of having a slotted shank. Those who have it love it - like PeterB. And as suggested I can always use the slot bolt to limit it's use if I so decide. I concluded it gives me flexibility and options.

Attachments

• Sarca and bowsprit.jpg
    Sarca and bowsprit.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Slot Bolt.jpg
    Slot Bolt.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 87
What's the function of the thin slots on the plow portion of the anchor? Can't imagine they have a signficant factor (if even measurable) increasing holding power. Looks like gimimckry unless someone can convince me otherwise.

To release any suction holding mud or sludge is what the manufacturer told me.

That's weak.
Weak or not Mark - it certainly seems to cut down the amount of bottom they bring up. I hardly ever need to hose off the anchor, and we have quite a lot of mud or mixed mud/sand bottoms where I cruise.

PS Jan - well done. You won't regret the purchase, and I'm willing to bet you will never feel the need for that slot bolt.

Thanks Pete. I had a long discussion with Rex, CEO of Sarca when I picked it up and he knows his stuff so with your and other endorsements as well as the comfort of thousands of other satisfied customers I feel very good about my purchase.

On many boats the anchor does not have to be man handled, it stows in a Hawse Hole or on a bow roller.

Weather it brings up mud? Who cares????

FF

On many boats the anchor does not have to be man handled, it stows in a Hawse Hole or on a bow roller.

Weather it brings up mud? Who cares????

FF

One of the few things all the rain here in the PNW is good for. Cleaning mud off the anchor. :thumb:

Eric said:
I hope he appeals to Cary and pulls him back.

Eric
Marin left me alone with my decision, and I just missed everyone too much to stay gone. Good to see you are back. Did you get that beautiful Willard down here?
Carey

Weather(sic) it brings up mud? Who cares????

FF[/QUOTE]
Every speck of mud gets blasted off our chain and anchor using the washdown pump, every time it comes up. On a previous boat I found about 4 inches of mud in the base of an unusually large locker you could stand in,about 4 ft deep too.Yes,I know,that left 3ft 8 inches of locker to fill,still rather it gets stored clean. BruceK

Cary I'm very glad to see you're still here. What happened to Walt?

I not only don't like the shackle slots I do'nt care for the fluke slots either. If I was down under in the coral I'd prolly like the shackle slot just fine but a bolt near the end of the shank keeps the rode attachment fixed in the conventional place. If a 180 degree wind shift should occur the anchor would most likely be pulled out and need to reset. Most anchors do'nt remain set w a 180 reversal anyway so a slot really should'nt make a difference. I suspect, however, that the fluke slots keep the Sarca from performing as well holding as the Rocna and others in the anchor tests. If I put slots in my propeller blades the thrust would prolly go south too. I'd like to buy one and weld up the slots. I thought the job of an anchor was to maximize the suction behind it. All bottoms are a fluid ......some much more dense than others but still a fluid. Nix on slots where there is'nt coral or similar bottoms. Just say'in

Back
Top Bottom