View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #17
stevemitchell

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 420 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My engine has 3.5 gallons of oil per engine, so smaller than yours. However, if it is something that you keep on 24/7 while at the dock, the heat will radiate through the engine quite nicely. That would be too little wattage if you were looking to warm up the engine before starting, but is plenty to keep the engine from getting too cold. Also, two engines in the ER, each with a 250W oil pan heater will be more effective than one engine with a 250W oil pan heater. Same reason two folks stay warmer cuddled together under the covers in bed.
I only wish my engines cuddled more together, but that's another post for another time.... And I would definitely have them on quite a while before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
You can run a smaller than recommended pan heater as long as you accept the long heat-up time. Plus, sizing recommendations for those are often based on cars / trucks with more airflow through the engine compartment to suck away heat. And if you run an oil pan heater and a block heater, then the pan heater definitely doesn't have to be huge.
Fair point though on an open air engine vs one inside my engine room. And I would definitely have them plugged in quite a while before starting, or potentially all the time in the winter.

Also very true on the combo of both. I'd like to start with one first, for sure, and the more I read and based on responses here, I think the smoke issue I'm trying to make better would be best solved with a coolant heater.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote