Hinged Electrical Panels ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
I've search for info on the electrical panel setup on my new to me 1990 Californian but didn't find what I as looking for. So before I do something I'll regret I'll ask. See the AC panel below, it has a hinge at the bottom. So besides the standard of disconnect from shore power, make sure the generator is not running, I should then be able to unscrew the top and sides of the panel and lay it down to service it in a safe manner?, Seems to easy, anything else I should know? Does it close back up easily ?

The plan is to connect up an inverter properly. The DC power was connected to the starter lug on the generator. Probably not the best idea. The AC side was just some outlet around the boat.

I'm still not sure exactly how I'm setting it up, but the forum has some great suggestions.
and of course the picture is sideways, going to have to figure out the EXIF setting

The Brockerts

Attachments

• PanelACside.jpg
    PanelACside.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 61
I would also kill the DC power to the panel before opening it the first time until you know that nothing will short out or pull loose. I like hinged panels because it is easy to service them. I replaced my main electrical panel a couple of years ago and hinged it on the side so it swings out. I built a small, about 4” deep cabinet to house the new panel since the new panel is horizontal and the old panel was vertical.

Attachments

• C822E653-AF43-4A08-A37C-E201D39A3655.jpg
    C822E653-AF43-4A08-A37C-E201D39A3655.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 8424846B-CEEE-48CC-9B64-5B50965463B5.jpg
    8424846B-CEEE-48CC-9B64-5B50965463B5.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 53
I like bottom side piano hinged panels. When I did mine, you do need to make sure the cables are bundled to exit the panel at the hinge end. THey will twist 90 degrees to allow the panel to rotate away from the bulkhead.
Also, you might (I did) need some support lines running from the top of the panel to the bulkhead. These limit travel, so you don't need to support the open panel. These supports should be non-conductive, for hopefully obvious reasons.

I actually prefer the hinge on the side. That way when you open the panel you don’t have to reach in over the panel to work inside the cabinet. I swing mine open and I can sit in the opening and work inside. I have all the wiring crossing over to the panel down on the hinge side with enough slack to swing open. I have a bunge that pulls up on the wiring as the panel swings closed so the wiring moves up out of the way.

Proceed with caution with side opening panels on a boat that contain hazardous voltages. In industry, they would have to be "touch safe". On a boat, it is even more risk, since the boat can rock, sometimes unexpectedly.
Lots of touch proof terminals and connectors out there, but few vintage N America boats have them. Also, don't underestimate the power of 12 and 24V dc in a panel, if jewelry gets across them. And, that caution will apply to any hinge location.

My panel latches open. I never wear jewelry since I was a computer engineer at one time. The 120 volt side has a non conducive cover over the back.

There is a piano on the starboard side of my electrical panel. To hold it open, I have a genuine wooden stick. SMILE

Yes, but I only know one boat up here with a piano, Coastal Messenger, a mission boat

And to draw this to a conclusion, I meant a piano hinge.
LOL

And to draw this to a conclusion, I meant a piano hinge.
LOL

oh no. we are not done yet. Waiting for RT to get a graphic of a baby grand in your salon.

And, what a coincidence. My mom used a wooden stick to keep her piano top open. small world.

Greetings,
Mr. OD. It's pretty well along these lines but a bit more garish. Remember, this is a picture of YOU in your SALOON at your piano.

iu

Both my dell and imac accept RT graphics using chrome But no app reveals them on my iphone.

We need a Liberace filter.
I`d be more concerned about an unhinged electrical panel.

Hmmmm, watch out, sold the cat, moved off the Gemini Catamaran forum to this forum. After 40 years of sailing cat's I decided to retire on a motor yacht.

So you have another IT guy to deal with :) , mainframe sysprog, developer, DBA, distributed WAS admin, web admin, z hardware, PC's builder, physics major raised with an licensed electrician

The Brockerts

repost of the picture after fixing the rotation. Seem most Windows package's don't do it right, but photoshop does,

I'll continue to look for a way to correct these setting in images uploaded from Windows PC's

Attachments

• IMG_0371 copy.jpg
    IMG_0371 copy.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hmmmm, watch out, sold the cat, moved off the Gemini Catamaran forum to this forum. ...

The Brockerts

I'm considering either the gemini or the packet cat 35. Have you been on the PC? I need shallow draft and stability, primarily.

I have not sailed on a PC. I have boarded and walked around on several. They are considerably different boats. Gemini's weight in around 8000-9000 lbs, PC around 12000-13000 lbs. You can feel that difference just walking on them. PC just feel more solid and I wouldn't mind being offshore in one. The Gemini is like a cork offshore, bounces around too much. Gemini's are great boats for bays and coastal runs of short distance's in calm sea's of 2-3 feet. After that too much slap on the bridge deck. I never beached mine but did run it in 4-5 feet of water sometimes before dropping anchor.

The Brockerts

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom