CarDude begins epic broke-boat return to US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Dude, did you find your friend there on GTC who was originally letting you keep your boat at his dock?

And any word on how high the storm surge got on GTC?

Don’t know exact storm surge, but don’t think it was all that high. Boatyard guys said water didn’t even get into their office. It was just a huge wind event.

I did not find Chris Plummer (owner of the dock) this trip and I’m kind of embarrassed I didn’t. The trip was a whirlwind for me and I didn’t have much time. Flew in Thursday afternoon, hitched a ride to the boatyard, saw the overall destruction and kind of freaked out. Slept on a very hot and stinky Bijou then got up early Saturday and started getting boat ready to launch, and left Sunday. I can’t say enough about this Abaco Yacht Services boatyard. There were literally boats toppled everywhere and they made an extreme effort to move so many boats out of the way to get to mine and get me launched. That was a big piece of luck for me because if I didn’t get launched Friday I would miss my window to get home weather-wise.

Those poor yard guys were worn out. The yard manager said he was going on vacation this week and might not come back. Anyway, great place, and LaVern in the office is so calm and nice with all the boaters calling her freaking out.

Here’s to you cardude . Great attitude. Sail on my brother.

It’s feeling drier now already since I’ve been running the gen and AC 24/7 pretty much. My poor little genny. Oh well. How long can one run a generator safely? Does it need to rest???

I've run the Onan in my RV for days, and I mean days. As long as it doesn't burn oil and doesn't overheat it can run until the next oil change is due.

But, shutting it down every once in a while.... (24 hours?) to check the oil won't hurt it. Then again, I assume you have a low oil shut down.......

As far as going solo.... I've done it quite a bit. The hardest part is going back on land and dealing with the stupids.

How did you get the boat out of the mess and into the water?

How did you get the boat out of the mess and into the water?

This yard employees moved 5 boats to get back to mine using a giant boat forklift and the travel lift. They had been there for a week working on the yard so they had already make a bunch of headway.

Well it looks like my previous very benign wind forecast wth winds less than 10mph all the way across has changed. Now S winds 10-12. Still not terrible but probably gonna be rolly. Plus I see some rain squalls out there now on my iPhone weather app. [emoji15]

Last edited:
Yes, but looking at the forecast, today is still by far the best day to go. Weather turns to snot tomorrow afternoon and then worsens.

Windy has winds s about 10-15 for the crossing today. S wind like that is pretty benign as it is going with the stream.

Radar has a group of storms mostly on a line from WE to Ft L, but they are mostly stationary. If they stay that way (IF), then if you make a line to Lake Worth inlet, they should be to your south.

WE and Lake Worth data bouys have wind around 5kts now, and been about that all night.

Looks like a "Go" to me.

Have a good trip!!

Seems like that line of thunder storms just south of me is SLOWLY moving north just off shore of WE. I think I will let it pass. I want to get going, but not right into a yellow blob.

Last edited:
Yes, but looking at the forecast, today is still by far the best day to go. Weather turns to snot tomorrow afternoon and then worsens.

Oh definitely. If I don’t get going today I’ll be pinned here for a week I’m afraid. I’m outta here!

Last edited:
Another option would be to leave your boat there at the marina for now and fly home. We could get there in approximately three weeks and then buddy boat across the stream with you.

EPIC Boat Save! Good Luck GodSpeed!

Best of luck and left a comment on your video. Safe travels.

This yard employees moved 5 boats to get back to mine using a giant boat forklift and the travel lift. They had been there for a week working on the yard so they had already make a bunch of headway.

I'm sure they're quite happy to get the functional boats in the water and out of the way to make cleaning up the rest easier

Oh definitely. If I don’t get going today I’ll be pinned here for a week I’m afraid. I’m outta here!

Storms fading. You better be on your way!! Good travels!!

It’s a damn rolly mess. Not all that rough, but this boat REALLY needs the sails. First time I’ve done this crossing with no stability and it’s hang on for deal life. ��

I turned south about 10 degrees to stop some of the roll. Will turn back once I hit the GS.

All good tho!

Last edited:
Should be gettin close!!

I’m through the inlet. Headed to Old Port Cove marina to watch the Astros hopefully. Do they have a bar with a TV?

I’m through the inlet. Headed to Old Port Cove marina to watch the Astros hopefully. Do they have a bar with a TV?

Awesome! Time to celebrate, kick back and let the repairs get rolling.

Well done, Dude! You've fully earned and deserve an adult beverage (or two) and an Astros win.

Welcome back Bijou and CarDude!

Well done! What a relief! Hope the rolling calmed down some.....

Sincere congrats are due. You went, you saw, you overcame! May time never dim the glory of your deed!

Good job!!!!

If you would start a new thread for the repair process.
The discovery of all that is needed
And the process to bring that about.

Back
Top Bottom