CarDude begins epic broke-boat return to US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 PM posting. Looks like he’s turned toward West End, probably tacking against wave direction.

Attachments

• 8FC8CD87-8F17-4FB6-9421-D2AD0CF61A23.jpg
    8FC8CD87-8F17-4FB6-9421-D2AD0CF61A23.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 109
Larry, fyi, there is a small shop in ft. pierce that has dozens of used masts he might check out. If you know cardude ask if he knows the yard owner over there, i'm looking for a running northern lights 5kw that might not be damaged and can be salvaged. I sometimes work for Rosie in Grand Cay and he can pick it up maybe..tks,,craig kkmanatee silent faith.

2 PM posting. Looks like he’s turned toward West End, probably tacking against wave direction.

Windy.com shows he currently has an 11 kt breeze on his beam with 2 ft seas on his stern.

Oh man! Wishing you a safe uneventful return stateside Cardude. Following your journey closely.

That little island well to his south east is Mangrove Cay and the usual turning point for WE. He seems to have run well north west of that and now south along the bank. Maybe getting a bit more south to ride the stream to West Palm or Stuart.

Coming into West End now. Will. Cross tomorrow. Went through the Memory Rock cut and not the one further south because I have never done that one and was worried it might be different after the storm? Will tie up and get a cocktail and respond to posts here in a few.

I think my Inreach tracker is out of funds or something. Not working right.

What!! All of us here on TF worrying our butt furunkles off, and you’re thinking “Miller time”?! Well then, I guess we can’t blame ya for that.

What!! All of us here on TF worrying our butt furunkles off, and you’re thinking “Miller time”?! Well then, I guess we can’t blame ya for that.

I'll just take that as meaning the trip must be going well so far!

Greetings,
Mr. hh. Miller??? Seriously??? I'm thinking more along the lines of a Goombay Smash or two...

200.webp

i'm looking for a running northern lights 5kw that might not be damaged and can be salvaged. I sometimes work for Rosie in Grand Cay and he can pick it up maybe..tks,,craig kkmanatee silent faith.

Craig: PM sent to you.

Coming into West End now. Will. Cross tomorrow. Went through the Memory Rock cut and not the one further south because I have never done that one and was worried it might be different after the storm? Will tie up and get a cocktail and respond to posts here in a few.

I think my Inreach tracker is out of funds or something. Not working right.

Well done. It's all down hill from here!

Ok, all tied up. Couple of drinks. No rum on the boat for some reason. Just cheap box wine. Life is hard...

So I didn’t realize this marina was technically closed. Called them on 16 and the guy said sure come on in, do you need power, yadayadayada. Then I get here and a guy walks up and says the marina is closed for the season. But he said it’s all good. Don’t worry about it mon. That’s why I love the Bahamas!

I’m cracking up Larry’s EPIC BRINGING THE BROKE BOAT BACK title. Doesn’t feel too epic. So far the trip has actually been pretty boring, but that’s a good thing on this trip.

The boat is actually in decent shape all things considered. Just the damages Larry listed plus a few more little things. Sand freakin EVERYWHERE. It actually blew in under the sliding windows somehow. The cockpit was full of sand a few inches deep. When the mast broke some water got inside and travelled to strange places via the headliner, so the interior was pretty damp and mildew-y. It’s feeling drier now already since I’ve been running the gen and AC 24/7 pretty much. My poor little genny. Oh well. How long can one run a generator safely? Does it need to rest???

So the island looks worse than I thought it would. It was depressing riding around on a golf cart a guy basically let me use for free. He owns a golf cart biz and most of them are destroyed. When I walked up and asked for a cart he said this one here kind of runs, just take it. Didn’t ask me for my name or anything. He just wanted to help maybe? He has lives on GTC all his life and is maybe 60-70, and was putting a roof back on his house. Strong-willed dude.
I gotta tell ya, these GTC island folks are getting after it. They are all working putting stuff back together, but it looked really bad to me. Maybe was still in oh sh$t mode and kind of shocked and depressed. They are over all that shock it appears. They are working. But the cart guy did wonder if the tourists would come back...

There are still boats strewn about on land all over Black Sound where I was. Maybe 10 thrown up on shore and more sunk in the sound. There was a big fancy 70’ Marlow that was on wrecked in Black Sound I thouht but didn’t see it. Maybe the insurance folks came and got that one.

Menzies, yes I’m single handing because nobody wanted to come with me. I know I’m hard to deal with but sheesh! Just kidding, it was so clunky to get here and having to bring my own food, it was just easier solo. I don’t mind single handing the boat and I find myself amusing most of the time. I really don’t consider this a dangerous adventure or anything but maybe it’s the wine. As you know, as long as the weather is good this is not a hard trip.

Bigfish, I do have a little EPIRB lite, a PLB I think it’s called. And the Inreach tracker thing that sort of works. And a new liferaft my wife made me buy before she would make the trip with me when we came across in June.

Miz Trom, I don’t know about being a smart cookie. Most folks on this board have forgotten more than I’ll ever know about boating. I constantly find out about things I should have done differently, but somehow I muddle through. I’m a firm believer that perfect is the enemy of good. [emoji23]

My plan is to cross tomorrow from this nice, secluded and vacant (I’m the only boat here)
marina at first light, which seems to be around 7am. I think I’m gonna basically head directly west and let the current sweep me up the 16 miles or so to Lake Worth. Does that sound right? I’m not worried too much about this crossing becaue the weather looks good, but I sure do wish I had my sails. I forgot how damn wobbly this boat was.

Plan is to get the boat to Stuart on the ICW to Mack Sails and let them assess the damage and send in an estimate that my insurance will probably reject for some reason. I have an $8000 “named storm” deductible so it’s not like I’m gonna make out real well on this deal. Plus, they recently sent me a letter saying they had to drop me because they lost their reinsurance. Not a confidence-inspiring letter for someone about to submit a claim. I really dislike insurance! Maybe I will just get liability from now on.

Thanks for all the well-wishes! I appreciate the support!

OK, time for more wine. And maybe a boat shower with my organically perfumed algae water. [emoji41]

Last edited:
Great Attitude CD, Very glad you are OK!!

Only boat in WE. Wow, never seen that. Makes me sad.

Yea, I would just head west and let the stream do what it will to your course. It will take you north, but you want to do some north anyway. If you want to put some south in your heading, do it when not in the max current part of the stream.

You boat has some serious survivor cred!!!

CD. I’m amazed at your great attitude in this trip and hopefully all goes well and you tie up stateside soon.

Good luck and be careful out there!

Only boat in WE. Wow, never seen that. Makes me sad.

Yea, I would just head west and let the stream do what it will to your course. It will take you north, but you want to do some north anyway. If you want to put some south in your heading, do it when not in the max current part of the stream.

You boat has some serious survivor cred!!!

This is a great place! I’m definitely stopping here next time we cross. Jewel would love this place. However, the no-seeums just ran me inside after about 5 minutes. No wind.
IMG_7153.jpg
IMG_7152.jpg

https://youtu.be/wHEF7ejcSzQ

Sounds good on the crossing. Thanks for the tip!

Glad to hear some good news outa the Bahamas. Fair winds and following seas CarDude!!

Safe travels! I’m so happy to hear from you!

Replaced my alternator belt. Had the algae shower. Had a thought.

I don’t think it’s too early to visit the Abacos. They really need the tourist dollars, and if you can live on the hook and be pretty much self sustaining I would make the trip this season. Plus, you could take some items over there to donate if you wanted to. The trip coming back was the same as it always has been. No water hazards. Easy peasy.

I think the people would actually like to see some tourists come back. I know they are worried about that. All the beaches on GTC that I went to still looked great.

Anyway, just a thought.

Here are some pics I took. Don’t let them depress you. Let them motivate you.

IMG_7099.jpg
IMG_7102.jpg
IMG_7107.jpg
This was the hardware store IMG_7108.jpg
IMG_7109.jpg
This was a little gift shop where we bought some stuff last time. [emoji25]
IMG_7110.jpg
One of the local commercial lobster boats.
IMG_7115.jpg
IMG_7116.jpg

Linemen are out getting work done! New poles going up. They hope to have power by Christmas.
IMG_7117.jpg
IMG_7118.jpg

Great reports and photos, Dude!

The empty marina video was astonishing. Looks like they still have all of their power pedestals.

Have a nice quiet trip tomorrow.

IMG_7125.jpg
Red Cross made a delivery when I was there. Only one Bolo ferry running currently because other two were damaged. One was at the boatyard where my boat was and flying debris smashed the roof in. The other one was anchored out in the mangroves in Black Sound I think and it broke free and was recovered miles away, but it partially sunk. I can’t remember their last names, but Josh (maybe age 35) is one of the sons who runs the ferry business with his dad and they are the nicest folks you will ever meet. Lived there all their lives.

Bill,
I hope the remainder of the trip continues to be boring. Onward Captain.
Mike

Great reports and photos, Dude!

The empty marina video was astonishing. Looks like they still have all of their power pedestals.

Have a nice quiet trip tomorrow.

It doesn’t look like this area was hit at all by Dorian actually. I don’t see any damage. Strange.

Hey Dude, did you find your friend there on GTC who was originally letting you keep your boat at his dock?

And any word on how high the storm surge got on GTC?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom