Which Carbon Monoxide Alarm/Monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
In another thread localboy posted a reminder that the CO monitors need to be replaced every 5 years. Thanks for the reminder Mark!

I just checked the date on our hardwired Fireboy-Xintex CMD-4 and it’s 4 years or so past due. :eek: What are the good marine CO monitors/alarms out there. I can go with FIreboy’s new model but I’m curious is there another good one out there? Any recommendations?

Attachments

• 8E46AE3B-4526-4274-A7DC-5F8871462B12.jpg
    8E46AE3B-4526-4274-A7DC-5F8871462B12.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 78
I just went with First Alert detectors in my boat. You can connect them together wirelessly so when one alarms they all go off. I am going to add one up on the flybridge so we can hear if they go off when we are underway. I put one in the electrical bay where all the wiring is, one in the engine room, one in the master and one in the salon. I am going to add one on the flybridge as I said and one more in the forward stateroom. They make CO detectors that I think can be wirelessly connected also. The CO detectors will alert at the end of life so you will know next time when to replace it. It made me think about it after the fire aboard the dive boat in CA.

Our hard-wired CO detectors are Safe-T-Alert (something like that) from MTI. Seem to be OK.

FWIW, the "RV" models sell for less than the"marine" models, but the MTI guys told me the units are exactly the same except for labeling. Might matter to a marine surveyor, though...

-Chris

Thanks for the feed back everyone. When we installed the Fireboy-Xintex CMD-4 it was the only one that carried the UL2034 label. After looking at the First Alert and the Saf-T-Alert it looks like they are now both UL2034 compliant. It makes the section a little easier. Now I start looking for the one that fit where the old one went.

I was having a network glitch during that earlier post... meant to add Safe-T-Alert/MTI is also the maker of the separate fire/fume/high water detectors in our engine room.

-Chris

Just installed the new CO alarm. Went with the Safe T Alert/FX-4. Found one on EBay with a September 2019 manufacturing date for just under $50.

I have Kiddie smoke and CO detectors throughout the boat.

There is even one behind the electrical panel, and another in the engine room

These all connect wirelessly to my boats alarm system. If one detects then all the sirens go off, and I am notified if not on the boat.

The one that detected also indicates on my Alarm Status Panel

Attachments

• F1281213-470B-40CC-8C8F-47768F6C97CE.jpg
    F1281213-470B-40CC-8C8F-47768F6C97CE.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 50
Hmm...can you tell us more about that panel?

The vessel alarm and status panel is based on a Samsung Smartthings alarm and control system.

My implementation of this system includes monitoring of critical functions, fire/smoke, and intrusion detection and notification.

On the control side I am able to turn on and off heating systems, including backup system remotely, and have recently included a auto flush for my watermaker.

Here is a photo of the display that is on the boat, as well as a screen shot from my Ipad.

The Ipad has much more data as it is used to monitor things when I’m away from the boat. There is a similar display for my Iphone.

The way it’s designed is that no critical function NEEDS the alarm system to operate while on the boat. I would not install something that sets up a single point of failure scenario.

Attachments

• 6262C1E1-261D-4232-90E9-1DF18B32A606.jpg
    6262C1E1-261D-4232-90E9-1DF18B32A606.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 73394904-6DB1-46D8-9A44-BEF5B2726CB9.jpg
    73394904-6DB1-46D8-9A44-BEF5B2726CB9.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Interesting - overkill for my new vessel but...maybe It would be fun. Thanks for sharing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom