Navionics and AIS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alzero
Vessel Make
Hatteras 63' CPMY
I got an email from Navionics a while back touting their new AIS feature and decided to give it a try. I have a Vesper system with a WiFi hub so I connected one of our navigation iPads to the Vesper and opened up Navionics. After a few minutes it began to populate the map with icons of the AIS transmitting boats just as advertised, so I decided to try it out the next morning.

It worked fine for a while, but after a couple of hours travel it began to show icons where there were no boats! I disconnected from Vesper and all the AIS icons all disappeared, but the spurious one returned again along with the real ones after I reconnected. Anyone else using this new feature noticed this?

I have been using it since the app was updated, it does have a lag in transferring information but once there it has been good. I do notice that if you log off the page it will take time to reload all the AIS information again.

Vesper AIS shown on Coast Explorer is still our primary charting and is reliable with Vesper information.

We were using it before they had the ais function this summer. I downloaded the update and the ais worked (also using a Vesper XB). It worked ok for a while but did show icons of vessels that were not there, visually or on radar. Then the program started crashing and rebooting. I had to stop using it. I updated the softeware this month and tried using it but it still randomly crashes and reboots. I am using a iPad Air 1st gen FYI.

We were using it before they had the ais function this summer. I downloaded the update and the ais worked (also using a Vesper XB). It worked ok for a while but did show icons of vessels that were not there, visually or on radar. Then the program started crashing and rebooting. I had to stop using it. I updated the softeware this month and tried using it but it still randomly crashes and reboots. I am using a iPad Air 1st gen FYI.

I use the Vesper with aqua map and it is much better than navionics. I have the impression that the release of this feature by navionics was too hasty.

Back
Top Bottom