View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #24
Alisske

City: Northport
I am a crimp/solder/glue walled shrink type of guy all my life. Rewired about a half dozen boats. (Not a pro by any means, but consider myself the typical dockside mechanic)

Tried these because they were cheap and interesting and thought I’d give them a try.

I would not use them for any wiring permanently. They sorta suck in that the solder does not flow, and if there is any “jerk” on the wire, they will separate.

That being said, I do keep them on the boat for quick repairs if necessary underway. They are super quick and in 4 foot rollers, quick is good.

The only time I ever got seasick on a boat was priming a fuel system in diesel in 3-5 foot short interval waves in a buddy’s boat. (Got the job done, but it was dicey, I was miserable, and it took longer than it should have. )

They are good “stop gap” emergency connections. I burned up a bilge pump while on a trip. Zipped in the back up pump with these and kept cruising. When I got to port, in more ideal conditions, I did the crimp solder wrap set up.

Just 2 cents
Alisske is offline   Reply With Quote