Windlass, not a clue!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"the basics never change"

Well put Fred. Well Marin you've said what you think and so have I. That's all there is so lets not BORE all the rest of the guys w more of our drivel. End of the Chapman issue......I'll not praise it and you'll not knock it
biggrin.gif

Eric the terminator

May I suggest that those who are looking for a modern guide to becoming a salty seafarer but wish to avoid being insulted by material written for the hobbyist take a look at these books:

American Merchant Seaman's Manual, 7th Edition

Merchant Marine Officers' Handbook, 5th Edition

What kind of material is covered in the Merchant Seaman's Manual, Rick? Is it anything like the Navy's Bluejacket's Manual in which, at least the older versions, contained a ton of information about how to do pretty much everything on ship?

Thanks Rick. It's on my wish list for my next order at Amazon.com, about $35 new. American Merchant Seaman's Manual, 7th Edition, that is. They have the other one for about the same price.

But Rick B strictly for Americans as they don't do things the same way as the rest of the world.

Portuguese, I spent a considerable amount of time researching the best, most approriate windlass for my heavy (22 ton) 40' trawler. In the end, I chose the*Lighthouse 1501 windlass. They are popular with offshore sailors and come standard on Cherubini yachts. They can be very spendy ($5000+), but I*found mine at a*consignment store (Bacon Sails) in Annapolis, MD. The winch was only 2 years old but it had been improperly installled and the motor was burned out. I bought it for $600, had it rebuilt by the*manufacturer in Riverside, CA for*$1200.*It's an impressive piece of machinery.

BTW, yesterday (2/12/12) I saw a Maxwell 2200 horizontal windlass for sale at Fisheries Supply (Seattle) for around $2200 -- fantastic price -- must be a close out/display/whatever, because they cost twice that price! Good luck

-- Edited by nwboater on Monday 13th of February 2012 08:11:57 PM

Attachments

• lighthouse 1501.jpg
    lighthouse 1501.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 613
Speaking of Fisheries Supply, did anyone else get their new catalog this week?* Mine just came today.* WOW!!* It makes the WM catalog look like a brochure.* Very impressive!!

Attachments

• fscatalog.jpg
    fscatalog.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 104
I bought it for $600, had it rebuilt by the manufacturer in Riverside, CA for $1200. It's an impressive piece of machinery.

Good deal, Lighthouse is great gear ,but remember some companies , IDEAL, use US auto starter motors , rebuild $60 at your local auto-electric shop.

Cheap enough to carry a SPARE! aboard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good deal, Lighthouse is great gear ,but remember some companies , IDEAL, use US auto starter motors , rebuild $60 at your local auto-electric shop.

Cheap enough to carry a SPARE! aboard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that's good point. I have an old Vetus/Lofrans and although a good winch it needed a total serious rebuild which I did myself. The motor, an Italian unit, was N/A at all and the old mmotor was almost unrepairable.
Anyway it works well again but if I ever have to replace that windlass I will give serious consideration to that point.

Mark...I love your boat. could you email me some picks inside and out. I am always looking for ideas and have built a pic library to draw from when I begin the cabin work.
sjemery@gmail.com

I had to go electric because I could not find a reliable professional to rig up a hydraulic system.

Why not go to the local hyd shop , the place where they make hoses and repair bulldozers, garbage trucks and the rest.

They will easily be able to hook up a real windlass , after you have it deck mounted and have a wrench install the hyd pump and tank.

In your situation I would ONLY consider Hyd , as with an overload it simply stops.

No dead batteries , melted wiring or blown fuses or circuit breaker, cool to reset time.

A second source of an instalation wrench would be some of the local fish boats , as many have large and complex setups.

One note , only purchase Hyd hose with swivel fittings on BOTH ends .

FF

Stainless Steel Rope Anchor Rode

hi folks

If this idea has been discussed in the past, please forgive me for the repetition. I have missed it. But anyway, Your thoughts on this idea would once again be appreciated. I found a 16" hydraulic drum winch with the above cable attached for a very reasonable price and would like to incorporate it on my 48' steel trawler.

Thank You
Capt. Nemo

hi folks

If this idea has been discussed in the past, please forgive me for the repetition. I have missed it. But anyway, Your thoughts on this idea would once again be appreciated. I found a 16" hydraulic drum winch with the above cable attached for a very reasonable price and would like to incorporate it on my 48' steel trawler.

Thank You
Capt. Nemo

Very popular on many commercial and some larger boats. If you do not have hydraulic on y9our boat it could get expensive. We have a hydraulic bow thruster, so if our electric windless needs replacing I will be looking at the ugly drum windless. Since the Eagle is already a ugly old trawler a little more ugly would not hurt. :D

Reel Winch.

FF how much would a hydraulic pump cost?

Attachments

• STH71089 copy 3.jpg
    STH71089 copy 3.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 95
  • all to 12-15-09 346 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 346 copy.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 98
It cost me for the engine mount frame, pulley, belt and pump about 500 bucks. The biggest concern restriction might be the hp of the engine, and the required RPM. Our perkins 4.35 gen set engine does not have the hp for the rate hp of the pump.

Oh good I thought the pump would cost closer to $1200.

My engine is small so power loading may be an issue.

With the reduction gear via chain drive the load on the motor and pump couldn't be very much though.

Oh good I thought the pump would cost closer to $1200.

My engine is small so power loading may be an issue.

With the reduction gear via chain drive the load on the motor and pump couldn't be very much though.

I had the plant/shop buy and build so I paid wholesale. Retail at least double the cost. The orignal pump was constant PSI, I changed to varible and not beefy/heavy enough, so I had them modified/changed.

They know if I hurt my self there will be hell to be pay. One of the perks of being a yuppie, spoiled, metro sexual :D :socool:

Back
Top Bottom