View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #20
Lepke
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I've been running marine diesels for 60 years. I NEVER have fuel problems. In all my boats I have run a Racor primary and and engine mounted secondary. With today's crappy fuel I do use an additive every fueling.
But a full sized Racor 500, 900, etc. should do a near perfect job of removing water unless it's flow rate is too high (undersized Racor).
You can build your own fuel polishing system using your Racor primary. If you have an engine that returns a high rate of fuel to the tank you don't need a secondary pump. But with a low return rate you add a pump (about 30+ gph) after the Racor that returns into your return line. If the flow rate of the engine and pump together is within the Racor rating, you can run them at the same time. With a relay, you can have the pump run anytime the engine is running. A lot cheaper than a $1000 system and just effective. For more protection, you can go to a lower micron rating filter element. A good fuel additive will enhance the Racor's ability to remove water.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote