Thought it was a rat but....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Engineroom is fairly typical for a woman owned boat. They only care if something doesn't run or the electricity goes off. And then it's a mickey mouse fix. I had a yard, tried to avoid yacht work, but still saw enginerooms like it too many times.
My current boat's po was a woman. To change oil, it was drained in the bilge and pumped out on an ebb tide (in Canada). I also took out a couple 100 yards of wiring that went nowhere.

I had to watch this video twice to see what I missed the first time. I didn't see a "disaster" or "crappy" e/r, just the typical cramped space you get in those size boats of that vintage. A similar perplexing event happened to me many years ago in Kewalo Basin. Was my first time in that port, and I heard a weird crackling noise going on in the e/r. Thought it was an electrical problem but couldn't source it. Turns out it was shrimp under the boat.

Engineroom is fairly typical for a woman owned boat. They only care if something doesn't run or the electricity goes off. And then it's a mickey mouse fix. I had a yard, tried to avoid yacht work, but still saw enginerooms like it too many times.
My current boat's po was a woman. To change oil, it was drained in the bilge and pumped out on an ebb tide (in Canada). I also took out a couple 100 yards of wiring that went nowhere.

your so wrong on the women stuff. I have worked with, and for some real pros. They took pride in their work and vsls

Last edited:
Greetings,
Hey guys. Why the discouraging words. I couldn't see enough to pass ANY judgement on the cleanliness of the ER. Dark? Yes, but that's about it. Also keep in mind Ms. K is a new boat owner and IF you saw any disaster in the ER it was from the PO who most probably was a man.

WOW! Thank you for the encouragement ( not ) I have had this vessel for a few weeks and in that time have replaced the entire flybridge/roof while sleeping under the stars, re fiberglassed, painted, acquired more bruises than I can count. So when I have a light hearted moment to share-I will. Now the engine room inventory and reorganization is on my list, but obviously my leaks were priority. Your comments are exactly why I named my boat what I did...

Greetings,
Hey guys. Why the discouraging words. I couldn't see enough to pass ANY judgement on the cleanliness of the ER. Dark? Yes, but that's about it. Also keep in mind Ms. K is a new boat owner and IF you saw any disaster in the ER it was from the PO who most probably was a man.

I considered keeping the boat dry and installing the new upper deck a priority over a well kept ER, but thats just me.....

Greetings,
Ms. K. Good for you. Keep at it and ignore the nay sayers. It all takes time and I never doubted the ER was on "the list". Sheeps heads huh? I knew about the shrimp but...

giphy.webp

My PO were a couple both man and woman. So sex has nothing to do with organization my dear....But game on when I finish ( and I have OCD ) we can compare ERs, smashing sexism is a hobby of mine. SMH:whistling:

Wouldn't it be more productive and positive to offer her encouragement?

If the answer is obvious then couch it in terms not belittling her.
We do that to each other so she should be mo different.
Cant tell, she might invite you to dinner. SMILE

I think we all have more than one messy spot on the boat. LOL
In my case, my messy spot is the entire boat. Parts to do small project which remain "undone".

Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...which remain "undone". Hahahaha...."The LIST!"

Not being a cat person, what Ms. K. needs is a DOG!

Edit: Sheepshead are VERY good eating. Taste like scallops.

giphy.webp

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. OD. "...which remain "undone". Hahahaha...."The LIST!"

Not being a cat person, what Ms. K. needs is a DOG!

Edit: Sheepshead are VERY good eating. Taste like scallops.

giphy.webp

heard they are good! I live on my boat with a dog ( yorkie ) cat, and african grey parrot :)

....But game on when I finish ( and I have OCD ) we can compare ERs, smashing sexism is a hobby of mine. SMH:whistling:
Can't wait to see the "after" video! :thumb:

Congratulations on all the work you've done thus far, and what in the world is a sheephead?

Greetings,
Mr. OD...

200.webp

Thanks but, I have been to this 'bar' many times before.
We all know I have no taste, I eat Spam Tacos and now parrot. SHRUG

Your included graphic did not open.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. OD. I've heard some can't see my gifs. I can't see them when I log in with my I-Pad. but I'm fine when on my laptop. Must be an apple thing. Basically it said "you nasty" but I meant that in the nicest way...of course.

200.webp

Sheepshead:

200.webp

Greetings,
Mr. OD. I've heard some can't see my gifs. I can't see them when I log in with my I-Pad. but I'm fine when on my laptop. Must be an apple thing. Basically it said "you nasty" but I meant that in the nicest way...of course.

200.webp

Sheepshead:

200.webp

OMG yes those are the ones! Imagine a school gnawing at your boat as a newbie! That is why I made the video-a light hearted moment among the overwhelming work lists...

Kimberly, keep up the good work on YOUR boat. I think you are going great.

If we could just train those sheepshead to eat all the barnacles of of our all boats we could save $ on bottom paint.[emoji16]

That's utter nonsense. Every woman owner I've ever known has been MORE meticulous about maintenance and repair than most men... we have to be because there are so many jackasses judging us.

It was far more likely to be a man who changed the oil for the PO of your boat. The 3 previous owners of my last boat--all male--were 12v gadget happy...when they bought another toy, they just set it down where they wanted it and spliced into the nearest wire without any regard for wire size needed or what else was on that circuit. I removed 8 of 'em and half a mile of 12v wire...the first time I plugged a handheld spotlight into the chart light receptacle on the flybridge, the starboard engine turned over! One of my dockmates--a man--spilled a bottle of transmission fluid in his bilge...just added water and turned on his bilge pumps--resulting in the predictable oil slick all over that end of the dock. And I have at least a dozen more examples...including a so-called "pro" I hired to change the oil in a previous boat who didn't notice that it was high in the port engine, which is a sure sign in a gas engine of a fuel pump leak (unlike a car, the gas can't just just land on the ground, so they're designed to leak into the crank case). Fortunately a friend who was aboard noticed that the oil pressure in the port engine was dropping in time for me to cut that engine in time to save it.

So just save your snotty judgement about women boat owners for your buddies next time you're all bellied up to the bar...the women owners who are here don't deserve 'em or appreciate 'em one damn bit!

--Peggie

Thanks for sharing and I am glad you didn't have rats crawling around the bilge! I once found several dead crabs in my bilge. They apparently crawled from the dock, up the bow lines, and entered the boat through the anchor chain pipe at the bow (cover was closed). It wasn't a pleasant smell!

Thank you! Just my short time in my marina I have learned organization and half ass fixes are not exclusive to gender! I am doing my best to learn quick and resolve some issues I have. I was excited when my PO recommended the trawler forum, I will just ignore the peanut gallery.

That's utter nonsense. Every woman owner I've ever known has been MORE meticulous about maintenance and repair than most men...

My most successful projects on Sherpa have been when my wife was available to assist--from mechanical to fiberglass. She has a great eye for detail and we compliment each other extremely well. When we first bought Sherpa, it was my wife who crawled into a small bilge with gloves and a mask to scrub away years of filth and neglect from the male PO. She still reminds me of this deed! My wife is also a far better painter and rolled/tipped the entire interior of our boat--even painted the bilge! I dare someone to find a brush stroke! :)

Excuse me? This post was/is really offensive being a woman boat owner and doing 98% of engine work myself along with all the other maintenance that comes along with boat ownership.

Chauvinistic comment at Best

Greetings,
Ms. K. Hey. With a cat AND a Yorkie, you should have readily determined that you didn't have rodents. Tsk, tsk on you for not trusting your animals.

200.webp

Greetings,
Ms. K. Hey. With a cat AND a Yorkie, you should have readily determined that you didn't have rodents. Tsk, tsk on you for not trusting your animals.

200.webp

The Yorkie most definitely was not concerned, the cat however.....

Back
Top Bottom