Abandon Boat Auction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NWSeadog

Vessel Name
Carousel
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788 (1998)
Hmmm, 9 sailboats and 3 power boats. Interesting ratio.

Are blow boaters 3 times as likely to abandon their boats?

Didn't look like anything was worth the trucking to haul them away. Surprised at how many sailboats as well. I knew sail boaters were cheap.:D Just kidding!

Friday Harbor was auctioning off their abandon boats and they were all sailboats as well. It didn't look like there were any sails though. The positive side (if there was one) was they were all in the water and afloat at the time.

The brutal truth is that there is little value in most of these hulls. Even if you had the time, you would be better off value wise with something in better condition. The hulls at this stage honestly have negative value. They hope someone will bid something, anything, so they don’t have to spend to dispose of them.

I don’t think it’s a sail boat vs power boat issue. The sail boats are small fixed keel boats (McGregor is an exception). It moorage for a month cost more than they are worth. If they were trailerable they would be off rotting in some ones back yard. Because these boats have no trailer and are to small to live on, you can’t even sell them on CL.

With the power boats, I bet you will find they have dead engines. It’s almost impossible to sell a power boat with a dead engine. Our ports won’t let you live on a boat if they know the engines are dead. Thus again, a boat that can’t be trailered and can’t be lived on, no one wants it.

Someone dropped anchor on a (65-75') ketch just south of the Barge Canal lock west of Cape Canaveral before Hurricane Irma (Sept. 2017) and has not been back. The hurricane shreaded at least one Jib on their roller furler so now it has no jib, just the bare furler.
It still rests at anchor in that shallow bay, having ridden out 2-3 hurricanes and unknown other heavy storms. She looks like a nice boat but I never see anyone aboard or even around her. So, she's been here 2 years, with several sunken boats nearby.

...they were all sailboats as well. It didn't look like there were any sails though.

The Admiral and I always comment on all the sailboats we pass and how few of them we see actually, sailing. In the PNW, sails are an option but engines a necessity.;)

Someone dropped anchor on a (65-75') ketch just south of the Barge Canal lock west of Cape Canaveral before Hurricane Irma (Sept. 2017) and has not been back. The hurricane shreaded at least one Jib on their roller furler so now it has no jib, just the bare furler.
It still rests at anchor in that shallow bay, having ridden out 2-3 hurricanes and unknown other heavy storms. She looks like a nice boat but I never see anyone aboard or even around her. So, she's been here 2 years, with several sunken boats nearby.
What kind of anchor?:D

Re: Post #9...

200w.webp

At our marina there are both sail and power boats abandon also. They are FREE to any that wants one.

LOL, this is a pretty sad lot of boats. :eek:

Only one that looks like it might be in decent shape is the '63 Fairliner, and a wooden hull is not for me! :blush:

Jim

Fairliner and Pacemaker listed are most likely way less than worthless. I know a bit about those two brands from back then. One thing I know is that they seemed to rot more easily than other wood brands of the same vintage. Wood grade used? Sealants used [or not used]?? Not sure what the problem was... but those babies were rot prone.

The Admiral and I always comment on all the sailboats we pass and how few of them we see actually, sailing. In the PNW, sails are an option but engines a necessity.;)

In 30 years of patrolling for the CG Aux, the one mayday that we were near enough to respond to was a sailboat out of gas...

Wow. Move to the SE. I’ve been first on scene to 3 maydays and have never been on patrol. [emoji41]

Sadly there are scant few entry level sailors these days.
In my misspent youth I woulda been all over that Pearson!

Duncan

Hmmm, if someone wanted a Tolly Craft, they might want to visit this boat.

I am a bit curious with the statement, "Must leave the property." Are they afraid the owner will come back with a sack full of cash and want their boat back?

The yard is not brave enough to show pictures of the interior. Hmmmm

I am a bit curious with the statement, "Must leave the property." Are they afraid the owner will come back with a sack full of cash and want their boat back?

From look of $moke damage out$ide I can only gue$$ the ten$ upon ten$ of thou$and$ needed to re$tore the in$ide.

May be that interior is $o black that picture$ would re$emble a "black hole" in the univer$e! :popcorn: :D

Perhaps they are concerned about it becoming another blue poly tarp forever project?

That boat had a major fire last year, people from all over the PNW were wanting parts off it (Tollys are a cult following here and command a high price). There was even talk of someone from the mid west that was going to come out, cut the top off and truck it home. The Port of Everett is very strict and keeps the Port in very good shape. As far as the sailboats go... Ya if you had some free time and know what your doing you may find a deal. But its a ton of work as we all know.

As far as how many boats are in the sale.. Slip prices are high here and some just can not afford it, cant sell it, and cost to dispose are high so they just walk away, die, get sick, you know the deal. There are a few older GB on our dock, I wonder how they even float, never see anyone around, they look like they have not moved in decades.

Rumors are Everett is the largest West Coast Port far as total boat count, something like 2300 slips with waiting list that can last for years for something in the 36+ size range. I have been on the list for almost a year for a 40' slip, we are still about 3 years out.

Last edited:
It always makes me wonder who would abandon a boat, and how bad it must be to not even sell it for a few bucks on Craigslist.:confused:

It's usually because the yard bills and storage get wracked until more is owed than is worth. The yard puts a lien on the boat, which prevents the owner from selling, so they simply walk away and leave the boat as the final payment to the yard. Now it's the yard's problem.........next stop Auction.

The Pacemaker and the Fairline are both wood. The Tollycraft had a significant fire.

I owned that Pacemaker back in 2006. Caught lot's of salmon in it. Here is a picture of her in better days.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 42
That raised deck style was my dad's favorite boat design. In the 60's/70's we had a custom 38'er that looked very similar.

I checked out the site and read the terms and conditions . . . Interesting that there is no mention of transfer of ownership, ie documentation or state title with the "sale". From past experience, generally ONLY Federal Marshal's auctions start a NEW title out from day of sale. Any and all liens on the property being sold are negated and the item is issued with a brand new title if applicable. Whereas a local law enforcement auction, like one I attended in King County Washington calls for the sale of the item, in this case boats, but any and all liens that may be assigned to the boat are still in affect. In the case of the boat I bought, a 34' Monk powerboat, the only lien that the Sheriff's office knew about was the lien for the moorage since the Sheriff's office had been in possession of the boat, about $400.00. I had already researched the circumstances surrounding the boat's being offered for auction, it was repossessed by the seller due the the buyer's not making his payments. I KNEW there were no liens on the boat as I had been in contact with the original owner, but the Sheriff's office made it clear the the boat might have liens on it that they didn't know about. I asked them LOUDLY, after they announced the terms of the auction, and BEFORE the bidding started if that meant that someone might appear with a lien for many boat units after the winning bidder claimed his boat, and they said "yes, that is the case."
Needless to say, the bidding was not what it might have been:D. I got the boat for a steal! The last bidder before me, the only one who was really serious after the issue of possible liens was brought up, came up to me, congratulated me on my new boat, and stated "For your sake, I hope it doesn't have any other liens on it except for the $400 moorage lien!" I told him it didn't. He asked how I knew that . . . I told him that I had researched the circumstances that led to the boat being offered at auction and I was completely sure there weren't any liens. His comment was "I really wish I had known that, you wouldn't have got the boat!" My comment was "I'm really glad that you DIDN'T know that!" The previous owner even told me that if I got the boat, he would give me a BUNCH of stuff for the boat that the buyer hadn't picked up . . . probably because he had no intention of paying for the boat since it was basically sold with a handshake. Extra props, some radios, and LOTS of other stuff. I offered to pay him for it all, but he wouldn't take any money, just was glad that it went to someone who would respect her and treat her right. Great boat, many years of enjoyment out of it until I went into the military.

Fast forward a few years, I attended an auction with a friend for another boat being offered for sale by the King County Sheriff's office. It was an Erickson sailboat, a 39 if my memory serves me correctly. The winning bidder got the boat for about 2/3 of it's legitimate value. After signing all the papers, a gentleman approached him and congratulated him on his new boat, then served papers on him for a lien against for boat for almost $70,000.00 for multiple sales, canvas work, rigging work, etc. The new owner's reply was, but it doesn't even HAVE any sails . . It didn't matter, the lien was against the BOAT, not the sails . . .

The morale of this somewhat long winded story, is that I wouldn't touch one of these boats for ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY, unless there is some documentation somewhere that I missed stating that the sellers/auctioneers had a bond or some such that said they had the right to sell the property, and that CLEAR title passed with the sale . . . which I found conspicuously absent anywhere on the site, although much mention was made that they were just the auctioneers, and couldn't be held liable for much of ANYTHING.

Fair winds and following seas all!:dance:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom