Old 10-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #22
sunchaser
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
As much as I respect TT's opinion on this thread, I respectfully disagree. I've had 9 boats since 1995, running anywhere from 30' to 54' & after much thought I've concluded that one should buy the smallest boat that has everything you want. The difference in costs to maintain the vessel are considerable as you move up in size. Taxes, slip fees, divers, insurance, boat washers,etc.

Now, you've indicated that buying a boat that is capable of crossing oceans is one of your desires. IMHO, there isn't a boat of any size (other than an aircraft carrier) that I would feel safe on while crossing an ocean. Besides, comparing a 43 footer to a 47 footer for ocean transits is foolhardy at best.

Below is a photo of the last boat I crossed an ocean on.
Walt I certainly agreed with your post until I got to the word foolhardy. Geez, you jumped from a helicopter into the raging seas to rescue pilots. Speaking of foolhardy, well I must admit I prefer the word heroic. We need to do a SoCal cruise with you again. I'd prefer neither foolhardy or heroic but I will provide some Scotch if need be.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote