View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #19
rgano
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Oooh-Rah! Semper Fi, Marine! I was at exactly three years from retirement from your taxi service (otherwise known to you non-Marines as the United States Navy) when I bought a 42-foot wooden Grand Banks. Having done a lot of study over the years while not being in a position to own a boat, GB was my heart's desire, and wood was something I could afford. I bought the second boat I looked at and kept it for 29 years including an overland movement of it from San Diego to Galveston FFT Panama City. Luckily, you seem to be in a far better financial position than I was, and following a lot of the good advice here, I am sure you will come out with a dandy of a boat.

I spent three years at Fiddler's Cove Marina (Navy) at Coronado before the move to Panama City where the military marina is too small for such a beast as a GB 42. I have enjoyed the Navy marina at Boca Chica as a visitor, but it is essential to call them and reserve early. You will find that as a retiree, you are not at the top of the priority list because they cater to active duty, although NO active duty are cruising very far meaning transient slips will almost always be used by retirees. You can google up military marinas or simply call the MWR folks to get more information on them.
rgano is online now   Reply With Quote