View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
jleonard
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
While they are well known anchorages that are suitable...there are usually many more nearby...not always, but often enough to not even waste your energy going where everyone else is.
Not if you boat in New England/Long Island sound area. Anchorages are often very crowded.
Picking a good anchoring hole takes practice. You have to first be able to judge your circle, then you have to get the anchor to set where you want it.
And of course you need the proper ground tackle but that's a whole other subject I won't get into since it's been discussed to death here.

Trawlers with a full keel usually ride the current when the wind dies, but there are exceptions.

One place I anchor often (Napatree/Watch Hill, RI) when the wind dies off to say 5 knots and the current is running opposite my boat hangs sideways or sometimes stern to the wind. I might be directly over my anchor with 100 feet of chain not doing much. Sailboats will be with the current and the sea rays will be into the light wind.
This scenario can last a while.
That's the time I hope no one even thinks about anchoring near me.

Bottom line is you have too know your boat. And that takes time

Quote:
Do not be the guy that creates a situation where you are uncomfortably close to another boat that was already there.

If you find yourself in that situation don’t tough it out, immediately move.
Yes what he said.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote