vessel security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slowboat 37

Just curious if anyone has something else besides lock and key when they leave the boat either at the home dock or visiting another marina.

Don't be fooled...

Attachments

• 254.jpg
    254.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 88
Just curious if anyone has something else besides lock and key when they leave the boat either at the home dock or visiting another marina.

Don't be fooled...
---------------------------------------
I've had no problems since I installed my little friend:angel:

Attachments

• RailGun.JPG
    RailGun.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 439
I wonder if you would get a better cycle rate if you went with 18 volt

We have a full commercial burglar alarm system with motion sensors, magnetic reed switches and pressure sensors. It saved us from being cleaned out last winter......Arctic Traveller

I have vicious animals ready to bite off the extremities of any unauthorized boarder.

img_81208_0_06ba6bd8dfb83548a38f3fc07db68421.jpg

img_81208_1_b5934d3cbe72290bbcef810ec5834243.jpg

Last edited:
Just lock and key. And no way to secure the flybridge chartplotter.

But, I have insurance.

In addition to our night time cruiser-truck patrolled (with flashing red light on its top) and well lighted locked-gate dock area, we leave our Tolly “locked – un locked”. In other words, the port slider is secured from inside with no lock showing on exterior and starboard slider (our entry, where the boarding steps are – see avatar) shows an inset lock that looks like it might be locked but actually isn’t so door can be slid open. Also, hand rail entry area is firmly held in place with bands that deter lifting it. Reason... Found a long time ago that locks are only good for helping to keep honest people honest. If a crook arrives with decision to get into our Tolly and/or other boats at our dock they will have pry bar or hammer to gain quick access if a door won’t slide open. I’d rather have windows and doors OK if an A-Hole wants to rip us off. :eek: If crooks decide to they get in one way or the other! Guaranteed!! :hide:

:eek: If crooks decide to they get in one way or the other! Guaranteed!! :hide:

That's what the county sheriff told me also.

My econ prof in college was an ex-insurance company suit. He advised to insure the h*ll out of it and forget it.

I see the advantage of avoiding property damage by leaving things unlocked (done that) but I wonder if your insurance company would say one didn't take due diligence to prevent a loss. Don't know, myself.

The two times people broke into my unlocked vehicle parked by my home they took hidden tools, etcetera but did not damage the vehicle. Didn't bother to make insurance claims as losses were less than the deductible (and didn't want to raise my insurance rate.)

Forty-five-something years while in college, thief broked into my locked VW Bug on campus breaking a window and stealing an out-of-sight SLR camera.

Last edited:
That's what the county sheriff told me also.

My econ prof in college was an ex-insurance company suit. He advised to insure the h*ll out of it and forget it.

Met 3 old timers at different local marinas that told us essentially a combination of what you and Art said.

Take the really valuable stuff home with you. Insure it well, don't lock the doors and hatches, and spend the insurance money on new stuff. Hatches, windows, etc destroyed by pry-bars are difficult and time consuming to repair. The cost of damage to a locked boat is often twice the value of the stuff stolen.

If the boat was docked in front of my house I'd probably try an alarm system but the drug addicts in California seem immune to the noise. The police normally issue a report number to you for the insurance company over the phone anyway.

I too have a ferocious animal standing guard.

Attachments

• P1040245.jpg
    P1040245.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 76
Nice looking dog, Gemma. Sorry, but he/she doesn't look threatening.

Mark, it was tongue in cheek. About as ferocious as your teddy bear and piglet. :)

Mark, it was tongue in cheek. About as ferocious as your teddy bear and piglet. :)

Maybe but a German Shepherd Dog can do the job if they have a mind to. Most Dobermans are easy going but their reputation out weighs the truth.;)

Here's our security on anti seagull duty.

Attachments

• Admiral and 1st Mate.jpg
    Admiral and 1st Mate.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 101
Here's our security on anti seagull duty.

Vicious looking! I mean you not the dog.:) On second thought that looks like the Admiral and not you so they both look a bit sedate.

We aren't much for even locking the boat. When it was on the yard we took everything that wasn't glued down that we'd be sorry to lose out of it and had the doors locked. A friend had just had a TV stolen from his boat in that yard so it seemed prudent.

Where we are taking our boat Friday, we were warned to always park in the parking lot and not along the road as the tweakers only break into the cars along the road. No reports of thefts from the marina itself. :whistling:

Our boat is on a mooring in a small harbor in a semi rural area where everyone knows everyone else. I have never heard of anything ever being stolen off of any boats in the harbor. We leave the boat unlocked and the aft door is usually always left open for ventilation when we aren't on board. Dinghys are left on floats and they, and their motors, are also not secured with locks. If we traveled somewhere where we might leave the boat in a marina in a more urban environment, we'd have to find the keys to lock up. I have no idea where those keys are.

We also leave the key in the ignition in case the boat had to be moved in some emergency by one of the liveaboards nearby who always keep their eyes on things around the harbor.

Where we are taking our boat Friday, we were warned to always park in the parking lot and not along the road as the tweakers only break into the cars along the road.

Jennifer, do you take your car with the boat? ;)

232323232%7Ffp73448%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D373955%3A2%3B9336nu0mrj

I don't know why, but our local police have a "Lock it or Lose it" program going on with signs, etc.

My neighbor leaves his garage door open when he is away at work. One time his wife came home and found a strange man in the garage.

He still leaves it open.

Wow! We had one of those carbon animal units, which we loved to death, :smitten: but if a person pet/love her she would help carry some of the stuff. We were more concerned they might take her than any of the stuff on the boat. :eek:

We do not lock the boat and/or vehicles because the damage they would do is probable more than the stuff they might take and/or the deductible. On the insurance policy I have a highest deductible I can afford to pay out of pocket.

On lake Union our dock was also a broker dock, so many time we would have strangers on our boat. We met the most interesting nicest people that way. :)

Live aboards and dirt people in many ways do not think a like. :confused:

Concerning Vessel security I've got a couple of things. First I've got a high water switch in the bilge connected to a Siren and Strobe. Presumably if I'm underway and I'm starting to sink the siren will alert me to go down and take a look.
I've also connected a panic switch in parallel so that if an intruder attempts to board while we're on board, he'll get an ear full.

9k=
9k=
9k=

Of course if this fails we've always got Rosie

Attachments

• Rosie to upload.jpg
    Rosie to upload.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Alarm System.JPG
    Alarm System.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 70
Here in Aus, I'm pretty sure if the boat is not locked, and things are stolen, then the insurance is void. I would not expect US insurance co's to be any more generous, so some of the advice above could be suspect if it came to a crunch. I think the secret could be to have locks that are strong enough to deter pilferers, but which professionals could cut/break with relative ease and not do too much damage, but leave enough evidence for it to be clear it was a forced entry. Actually, your locked gates, (in our case needing coded card to get in and out), on the fingers of the marina itself, and security personel being about is still your best protection.

I gave the head dock guy a 5th of burbon, and took him out shrimping.
He can see my boat from the harbor office.
Also you have to leave my harbor via a tunnel that only opens on the hour. plus we have a strong police department in town.
Cruise ships dock here so tax money pays for a over the top cop shop.
SD

Here in Aus, I'm pretty sure if the boat is not locked, and things are stolen, then the insurance is void. I would not expect US insurance co's to be any more generous, so some of the advice above could be suspect if it came to a crunch. I think the secret could be to have locks that are strong enough to deter pilferers, but which professionals could cut/break with relative ease and not do too much damage, but leave enough evidence for it to be clear it was a forced entry. Actually, your locked gates, (in our case needing coded card to get in and out), on the fingers of the marina itself, and security personel being about is still your best protection.

Yes, I think you would have a hard time claiming something was stolen when you made no effort to secure it.

AN old but cheap idea is a stencil , the boats name on equipment from oars, life vests to radar reduces its value for resale.

FF

Back
Top Bottom