Bonding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsbraga

Vessel Name
Adrift at Last
Vessel Make
Selene 53
IMG_0818.jpgIMG_0819.jpg

The images show the bonding strip on both sides of our boat. My concern is the port side looks like it’s been damaged, maybe by stuff stored in the lazarrette slamming against it. The zincs appear to be doing their job and have been replaced once by myself since buying the boat. It has spent at least 9 months on the hard in the 2 years I have owned her. Comments.

Greetings,
Mr. js. Sorry. Maybe not enough coffee this morning but I only see some corrosion in the top picture which, if not right through the strip is cosmetic only. And which is which? Port/starboard? Is the first picture side ways? Difficult to figure out orientation and location...More coffee...

Greetings,
Mr. js. Sorry. Maybe not enough coffee this morning but I only see some corrosion in the top picture which, if not right through the strip is cosmetic only. And which is which? Port/starboard? Is the first picture side ways? Difficult to figure out orientation and location...More coffee...

The 1st image is from the port side and is vertical. The 2nd is from the starboard side and also vertical. Do I go for my 3rd cup???

The straps look like brass flat strips.

Unless the straps are actually broken then continuity will remain regardless of appearance or any dings or dents.

THe corrosion showing should not matter UNLESS any connections where bonding wires are secured are corroding or are loose. In that case it should simply be mtc. needed.

Remove those with problems, clean them up including the strap at that point and apply a dielectric compound, Silicone grease, or a product like NoAlox.

Then test for any resistance across the connection.

The green verdegris on the strip surface won't matter.

I agree. I might have to clean off the chunks of corrosion just because of my OCD but the chunks won’t hurt. Check for continuity with less than 1 ohm.

Mtc?

What does MTC mean?

The straps look like brass flat strips.

Unless the straps are actually broken then continuity will remain regardless of appearance or any dings or dents.

THe corrosion showing should not matter UNLESS any connections where bonding wires are secured are corroding or are loose. In that case it should simply be mtc. needed.

Remove those with problems, clean them up including the strap at that point and apply a dielectric compound, Silicone grease, or a product like NoAlox.

Then test for any resistance across the connection.

The green verdegris on the strip surface won't matter.

My boat has a combination of fairly heavy insulated copper wire and some strips which I assumed were copper but could be brass for bonding. Is this acceptable ? What is the difference between bonding and grounding ?

I am in fresh water so it may not be as important but I am still confused.

Maybe I should open a new thread but this one seems pretty close.

pete

My boat has a combination of fairly heavy insulated copper wire and some strips which I assumed were copper but could be brass for bonding. Is this acceptable ? What is the difference between bonding and grounding ?

I am in fresh water so it may not be as important but I am still confused.

Maybe I should open a new thread but this one seems pretty close.

pete

Bonding is to prevent corrosion by tying all the underwater metals to your anodes. Grounding is a safety ground so that if there stray electrical current it will be conducted to ground and not to your body or the water.

Mtc.

Where did that come in at?

THe corrosion showing should not matter UNLESS any connections where bonding wires are secured are corroding or are loose. In that case it should simply be mtc. needed

What maintenance is suggested? Any help is appreciated. [emoji41]

Just cleaning up the connections. Maybe put an ohm meter on the connections and check for resistance, should be less than 1 ohm.

mtc. Yes, maintenance but I added to the lack of clarity by missing the 'E'
Should have been mtce.

That wouldn't have helped either. Maint. would be the most easily understood abr. for maintenance, in proper context of course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom