New Header Photo Contest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Richard
Congratulations on your photo being chosen as the the header photo. It feels like home, we love Princess Louisa it is beautiful. Maybe we can have a PT rendezvous there.

So, when do I get the keys to my new boat...the one in the photo? I assume that was the purpose of the contest, right? :D

I also would like too see a rotation of photos to show the type of boats the majority of us have and can afford, speaking for myself of course.

Attachments

• 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 112
I love Richards photo(great shot). I also like the idea of rotating in users boats, but the users need to take distant, crop-able photos of their boats that can be used.

For example: Steve's boat in post #35 I feel is beautiful and would represent well however, it needs to be a more distant shot so Andy & Company could crop it to fit in the banner.

Using Tonic's photo, you can see how small and far away an object (or objects) need to be to fit when cropping such a wide and slice of the photo.

crop example.jpg

Following are some other entries that cropped well.
daddyo.jpg

monk36.jpg

flywright.jpg

bshanafelt.jpg

In the following photo from forklift, it's a beautiful boat, but I think it would work better if the boat was futher away so it didn't take up the whole vertical space of the image.
forklift.jpg

One thing that I love about the current header photo from Tonic is the artistic beauty of the image when it comes to background and the reflection on the water. Really this could be any boat from a high end one that is there to a more affordable vessel. It's the scenery and feeling you get looking at the image that give it's that special touch.

We can update the header every so often, maybe monthly? On another site we update them based on season and sometimes for holidays. As time passes we will build an archive of great shots and can switch to weekly. Once we have a big enough archive we could switch to daily as well.

Would anyone with digital photo editing skills (and software) like to step up to be the point person to help solicit, crop and manage the header photo entry submissions?

Marin in La Perouse

Here is one that almost fits, and my guess is that someone could make it fit.

Attachments

• Underway 2 copy.jpg
    Underway 2 copy.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 112
THANK YOU to the Trawler Forum, and to Richard on Tonic, for selecting our Selene 53 Wild Blue to grace this homepage. Richard photo'ed the boat as we entered Princess Louisa Inlet on the last leg of our 2012 Alaska Cruise. PLI is a magic place which we enjoy year round (see http://www.seleneowners.org/SO_news.php?newsid=26 )

Thanks again. Alex

Last edited:
It is a beautiful and evocative photo - great choice! I also think a nice quiet scene like this better captures the spirit of this forum (maybe not the OTDE part!) more so than an image filled with boats.

It is a beautiful and evocative photo - great choice! I also think a nice quiet scene like this better captures the spirit of this forum (maybe not the OTDE part!) more so than an image filled with boats.

I agree. It's serene yet exhilarating at the same time. Probably captures why we all love trawlering. The raftup has, to paraphrase the King in the movie Amadeus, 'too many boats'.

Amadeus - 4decaca Movie Quotes - YouTube

Would anyone with digital photo editing skills (and software) like to step up to be the point person to help solicit, crop and manage the header photo entry submissions?[/QUOTE]

Firstly, I am NOT the person you are looking for as I have none, absolutely none, of the skills required!

But if you did have a point person for this role, perhaps it could be expanded a bit to include assistance with avatars etc. I think a lot of the members here, myself included, may know boats and photography but do not have the skills to modify images for inclusion here. For example I had help from a member (I'll keep him anonymous that he doesn't get inundated) for my avatar.
I know there is a lot of on-line help here, but if there was a way that folks could simply send e-mail attachments to a point person I think you would get a lot more images than otherwise for all kinds of uses.

Conrad,

That is a great point about help with Avatars. We can always ask the person who steps forward if they are willing to help with those as well. If not, we might be able to create a thread where people can attach large photos and then other can download, crop and re-post them in a more avatar friendly format. For example, if there is a photo of a boat that has a lot of background and the member would like a close up of the boat, we can crop it out and re-post it for them. I know a lot of forums have a thread so the members can help each other that way. Lets see if we get any volunteer(s)...

Carey, that is a beautiful photo. I attached it cropped at the same dimensions. Unfortunately some of the mountains in the back are lost. I think it also does a great job in portraying "the lifestyle" and would have that same high impact feeling. Can you send the original photo (highest resolution possible) to me at andy [at] socialknowledge.com so we can put it up at a later time?

Attachments

• carey.jpg
    carey.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 105
Perhaps a plane. There are many aviators here...

How about a helo for the REAL pilots here...:eek: :D:D:D

Tonic's first and the raft-up are nice, Raft up seems appropriate for a forum.

Last edited:
Creating a thread were they could post their request would probably best way to do it as any member could help out. Depending on the demand as it could be overwhelming task for one person to do, especially if they are away cruising, just busy or not yet retired.

An easy way,most photo programs allow a sharing/emailing options which including file size. I confess, I did Conrad's for him by simply emailing it to him from Apple's IPhoto at a reduced size (you could also just email it to yourself so you have a copy). I checked it as it shows various options and I used the one that took his 4mb photo to 87K.

I have the directorship of looking after our Yacht Clubs photo archives, website and newsletter. Last year the photo count was just under 2000 pictures burned on a DVD and posted on the club's website for the member's enjoyment of the years events.

How about this one.

Steve, shots like that are far better for cropping purposes. If the boat where a little more toward center would be easier. I think you have the idea though.:thumb:

I am very hesitant to mention that I do have photo editing "capabilities". Hesitant because having the capability does not translate to the artistic skill that may be required for the task.

How about a helo for the REAL pilots here...:eek: :D:D:D

Tonic's first and the raft-up are nice, Raft up seems appropriate for a forum.

I only put that picture up as I believe that is a photo of FlyWright flying into San Diego.

Here's a shot taken in the San Juan Islands with a Lord Nelson Victory tug...

Attachments

• TrawlerForumSanJuans.jpg
    TrawlerForumSanJuans.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 97
Another beautiful photo! Is it taken at Turn Point looking out to Pender and Saturna Islands? Absolutely love all the great photos, keep them coming. I think we need a Photo forum so we can all share and enjoy our cruising areas in one place.

Last edited:
Port list, or in a starboard turn? Check the wake.

Port list, or in a starboard turn? Check the wake.

If it's La Perouse (Marin) it definitely has a very slight tilt to the left no matter which way she is headed.

Our boat is somewhat the same.

:D

We will be installing a new photo album system in the weeks to come. We can then make categories and share these great photos.

Darren, that's a beauty, can you have a high res version available? If so, can you send it to andy [at] socialknowledge.com?

I have one for BumperBoatForum.com if anyone ever starts that. ;)

Attachments

• 100805027.jpg
    100805027.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom