US vessels kept in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I know several on this forum keep their vessels on a longer term basis in Canada. What regulatory compliance are you required to follow for items such as flares and fire extinguishers? US or Canadian? If you follow US regulations, do you have to have fire extinguishers certified by a US firm/authorization? I ask this question out of interest, and for no other reason.

JD
We follow both, whatever requirement is most stringent is what we prefer to go by. But, our fire extinguishers have no tags, just gauges which seems OK to USCG. Now, where is the darned axe stored?

We've been boarded by USCG several times over the years, never by Canadian authorities. We have operator cards for both BC and WA, never been asked to show them.

Interestingly, the sewage systems and bilge water areas garner the most attention when we've been boarded. Drug looking I'd guess.

In Canada stupidly, we don't accept electronic flares as part of your required signaling devices, ie flares. Also paper charts are required.

I seem to recall that disposable ( non rechargeable ) fire extinguishers can be self inspected... the rechargeable ones still have an annual inspection requirement by a qualified tech.

We have operator cards for both BC and WA, never been asked to show them.

I don't know about Canadian requirements. There are no USCG requirements for operator cards, certification, licenses, or boaters safety courses/certification. Boaters safety courses and certification is handled at the State level.

I don't know about Canadian requirements. There are no USCG requirements for operator cards, certification, licenses, or boaters safety courses/certification. Boaters safety courses and certification is handled at the State level.

......for recreational boats/boaters.

Safety inspections done by volunteers are voluntary. If done by LEO, not so much. Volunteers: I have been one since the early 90s, through the Coast Guard Auxiliary, until they dropped their CE program (Courtesy Examination) Our YC picked up the responsibility for doing boats wanting moorage in the Club moorage, I continued on as a YC volunteer.
Members of RCMSAR, again volunteers, do Safety Inspections at some of the local clubs, excluding the RVYC outstation on Saltspring, as I have that covered as their resident Safety Inspector.
The forms we use contain a number of sections, Mandatory items, desirable items, informational items. Failures only occur due to non-compliance in the Mandatory sections.
Cards are not in the mandatory section so if a boater tells me he/she has no PCOC or ROCM, I note the deficiency, but no failure is indicated.
In Canada, if you have an electronic means of communicating your position to the CG in an emergency, AIS, Cell phone, DSC radio, only 1/2 as many flares as the regs state are required for a pass.
Those clever SOS floating lights are not acknowledged as meeting any of the Canadian requirements.
Fire extinguishers never needed a tag in the old CE program. In our club, they do.

Last edited:
I researched this a little earlier this year in anticipation of an extended cruise in Canada from the US. My understanding...
If legal in US State of registry / residence you are OK in Canada up to 45 days.
After that you are supposed to have a boaters certificate from CA .
I also was under the impression that after 6 mos you would be subject to CDN taxes?
There were some exceptions if undergoing repairs. I believe the clock resets if you return to the US and again reenter CA.
I also understand that the electronic flare is in the process of CDN aporoval.
All my understanding and impressions... not an expert.

Last edited:
I researched this a little earlier this year in anticipation of an extended cruise in Canada from the US. My understanding...
If legal in US State of registry / residence you are OK in Canada up to 45 days.
After that you are supposed to have a boaters certificate from CA .
I also was under the impression that after 6 mos you would be subject to CDN taxes?
There were some exceptions if undergoing repairs. I believe the clock resets if you return to the US and again reenter CA.
I also understand that the electronic flare is in the process of CDN aporoval.
All my understanding and impressions... not an expert.

I think you can satisfy the Canadian boaters certificate with an equivalent one from the states - many states offer them now.

I also think that you can leave a boat in Canada for 12 months before taxes, and 18 months with repair holidays. It is reset if you leave and return, even if only for a day. This is functionally how it works - I've put some effort into tracking down the exact regulations and have not been able to. Including asking the CBP and calling Canadian Customs offices. They do not know. On a couple of recent entries into Canada to board my boat, I've been asked how long it had been there, so they may be getting more sensitive to this.

In Canada stupidly, we don't accept electronic flares as part of your required signaling devices, ie flares. Also paper charts are required.
It is not required to carry paper chart but chart on proper scale unless you know route and buoys on the route you take.

L

JD

We follow both, whatever requirement is most stringent is what we prefer to go by. But, our fire extinguishers have no tags, just gauges which seems OK to USCG...

Sorry! I didn’t mean to ghost everyone on this. May thanks for everyone’s replies. I was specifically interested in fire extinguishers. It seems the regulations are a bit different. Our fire extinguishers are tagged.

“Pleasure craft that are more than 12 metres in length up to 24 metres (39.4 feet to 78.7 feet) in length must carry one 10B:C at each entrance to:
Any area where a fuel-burning oven, heater, or refrigerator is located and…
Any sleeping area and…
The machinery space.
To be approved, a fire extinguisher must be certified and labelled by one of the following:

U.S. Coast Guard (“Marine Type USCG Approved”) or…
Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC) or…
Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL).
Fire extinguishers should be placed in an easily accessible area on board the pleasure craft.”

The issue is “certified”. I have to take my extinguishers to an outfit that “certifies” them. I’ve found a place that does them for a reasonable price, $10 each, but it’s the other end of town, and takes the best part of the morning of to and fro. Basically the guy looks at the gauges, checks to see if they’ve been discharged at all, dates for “hydro” if necessary and retags them. The fire departments used to provide this service for free but no longer do it.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom