Lehr outboards.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rookie Jay

Hey folks,

I’m new to the group.

Michigan Motorz recommended this site to me this morning. I purchased a Lehr 3 years back in Comox, BC. I have less than 30 hours on it. When calling toll free number from service manual, I was informed that Lehr has gone out of business.?

Does anyone have more contact info and /or a parts source? Thanks in advance for information.

Not surprising. I owned one of their gems and had continuous problems with it. Among other things it's definitely not saltwater compatible. The propane delivery system was poor quality Chinese junk.

If you need parts other than the propane delivery system, the outboard itself was made by another company and private labeled as Lehr. You may be able to find another company that sells it in the gasoline version.

Ted

I wonder how the Mercury propane engine will do both in sales and reliability - 5 hp.

Lehr was bought by another company who is not currently making outboards and not supporting the old ones. West Marine has dropped them as a vendor but may be able to help you if you call them.

I phoned the number on the operators manual and got an answering machine stating there was "...nobody available to answer your call at this time. Please leave a message after the tone".

Maybe they contracted out the service manual phone number questions, and that's who went out of business?

The Merc's 9.9 and smaller are all Tohatsu motors. So the Merc 5 propane is the Tohatsu 5 propane.

Welcome aboard. Too bad about the Lehr it was an interesting motor.

Sad to say, I had a Tohatsu outboard. Spent more time in the shop than on the RIB.
Gave it away in favor of a Honda. Never looked back.

Sad to say, I had a Tohatsu outboard. Spent more time in the shop than on the RIB.
Gave it away in favor of a Honda. Never looked back.

Never had any issues with mine. Always started up even in Winter in Boston. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. The local commercial clammers recommended them to me, Those fellas know how to abuse engines..

Lehr is why propane outboards didn't take off. They had a nice looking product but failed almost every purchaser from what I've read. I wouldn't bother trying to make repairs. I would go for a Honda or Mercury.

Never had any issues with mine. Always started up even in Winter in Boston. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. The local commercial clammers recommended them to me, Those fellas know how to abuse engines..

In post #9 Lehr was a pos. An hour later in post #11 you are in love with them?

In post #9 Lehr was a pos. An hour later in post #11 you are in love with them?
I think he may have been referring to the Tohatsu. When the two stroke engines were the norm, the Tohatsu engines were the go to for commercial guys. Sadly the dealers have aged out as with the older style ones. Honda is now producing the newer and larger Tohatsu engines now.

I don't know of anyone that has had a good experience long term with the propane operated Lehr engines. I guess the Lehr was a good idea created to grab onto a fad at the time to go "green", if you want to put it that way. I do like the idea that you are not storing gas for long periods of time if you do not use your small outboard, even with the non-ethanol gas that is available in many areas.

Last edited:
I think he may have been referring to the Tohatsu. When the two stroke engines were the norm, the Tohatsu engines were the go to for commercial guys. Sadly the dealers have aged out as with the older style ones. Honda is now producing the newer and larger Tohatsu engines now.

I don't know of anyone that has had a good experience long term with the propane operated Lehr engines. I guess the Lehr was a good idea created to grab onto a fad at the time to go "green", if you want to put it that way. I do like the idea that you are not storing gas for long periods of time if you do not use your small outboard, even with the non-ethanol gas that is available in many areas.

Makes sense. My mistake

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom