Sand, and keep sanding, then sand more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baba Yaga

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Baba Yaga
Vessel Make
1979 Californian 34 LRC
Working on the bright work since it’s summer all year here :) and there is maintenance to be done.

Prep and sand, first coat of Epifanes applied, now every 24 hours another sand and reapply until 6 coats.

IMG_2565.jpgIMG_2568.jpgIMG_2570.jpgIMG_2574.jpgIMG_2575.jpgIMG_2577.jpg

Looking good! You're fortunate to have that So Cal climate. How long does the Epifanes last in those conditions?

Looks very nice but not for me anymore. I am converting to paint.

Working on the bright work since it’s summer all year here :) and there is maintenance to be done.

Prep and sand, first coat of Epifanes applied, now every 24 hours another sand and reapply until 6 coats.

Yup, that's how I spent two weeks in June. 170 running feet times six costs (another this weekend).

36 grit followed by 150 on the cap rails, then 220 every coat on the hand rails. Phew!

Yup, that's how I spent two weeks in June. 170 running feet times six costs (another this weekend).

36 grit followed by 150 on the cap rails, then 220 every coat on the hand rails. Phew!

Wow, 36 grit scares me. First for me was an 80 followed by 120, then each coat after is 220 and 400.

Yep, machine sanded all our flaking rails with 60grit and rolled on two coats of Sherman Williams self priming acrylic exterior house paint tinted to a timber colour.
That was near 4 years ago and still looks fine.

Yep, machine sanded all our flaking rails with 60grit and rolled on two coats of Sherman Williams self priming acrylic exterior house paint tinted to a timber colour.
That was near 4 years ago and still looks fine.

We did the rails around our sundeck last winter with white polyurethane. We really like the look and the upkeep should be much much less work. We actually finished doing some more areas today. I think that it updates the look of the boat and makes it look more modern. And did I mention the less work...

Are you willing to share some pictures of your painted railings. Ours are almost all stripped and ready for sanding and then new varnish or paint. I am much inclined to paint.
We did the rails around our sundeck last winter with white polyurethane. We really like the look and the upkeep should be much much less work. We actually finished doing some more areas today. I think that it updates the look of the boat and makes it look more modern. And did I mention the less work...

Are you willing to share some pictures of your painted railings. Ours are almost all stripped and ready for sanding and then new varnish or paint. I am much inclined to paint.

I would put on a couple maybe 3 of coats of varnish before painting. That will allow you or a future owner to strip and re varnish if they so choose. Once you put paint on raw teak you will never get it out of the grain.

I saw a Grand Banks with beautifully Awlgripped toe rails. Looked nice. Said he hadn’t touched them in years.

Looks like a very professional job Baba. Takes patience and dedication. Very nice!

Just getting ready to strip our bright work to bare wood. Do most of you use a heat gun? If so, how do you deal with small eyebrow molding that’s tight up against the fiberglass?

Also considering going back with Cetol this time since the new colors are nicer and the stuff is less burdensome to keep up.

Just getting ready to strip our bright work to bare wood. Do most of you use a heat gun? If so, how do you deal with small eyebrow molding that’s tight up against the fiberglass?

Also considering going back with Cetol this time since the new colors are nicer and the stuff is less burdensome to keep up.

Heat gun and one of these scrapers. You will be surprised at how much you can accomplish with one of these. The heat gun is fine if you pay attention. The varnish will bubble before you damage gel coat. 3 coats of Cetol Natural Teak and 2-3 coats of gloss. Sanding between coats of gloss will add to the smoothness but not necessary.
That’s a Bahco scraper by the way. Many different carbide tips available for the detailed work if necessary.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41bJVtE74ZL._AC_.jpg

Please, those who have gone to paint, post some pictures. I spent many hours doing my hand rails anticipating adding a quick coat every year but fell behind and now they are needing a complete job. Too much work!

A friend spent several years doing his boat with epiphanes. He really did it right, many coats, sanding between coats. It was beautiful !! He has severe health issues now and has not kept up on the brightwork for two years and it is almost back to square one.

I pulled the teak on my F.B. a couple years ago. Big job but worth it. Now I am contemplating doing the side walkways and painting the rest. Admiral says "No" but if I could show her some nice pictures of a quality job it might sway her.

pete

Heat gun and one of these scrapers. You will be surprised at how much you can accomplish with one of these. The heat gun is fine if you pay attention. The varnish will bubble before you damage gel coat. 3 coats of Cetol Natural Teak and 2-3 coats of gloss. Sanding between coats of gloss will add to the smoothness but not necessary.
That’s a Bahco scraper by the way. Many different carbide tips available for the detailed work if necessary.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41bJVtE74ZL._AC_.jpg

Thanks very much :thumb:

I painted all my bright work with Pettit e-z poxy (white). Luckily I do not have teak railings. I painted the bright work 3 years ago and 95 % looks like it was painted yesterday. I have some touch up on door moldings where I didn’t sand quite as well since it could not be removed like the bright work which I used a palm sander on. I’m super happy I’m not a slave to it. I don’t mind touch up.

Another great tip is I replaced my teak ladder steps to the bridge and swim deck with trex. No maintenance EVER!

Please, those who have gone to paint, post some pictures. I spent many hours doing my hand rails anticipating adding a quick coat every year but fell behind and now they are needing a complete job. Too much work!

A friend spent several years doing his boat with epiphanes. He really did it right, many coats, sanding between coats. It was beautiful !! He has severe health issues now and has not kept up on the brightwork for two years and it is almost back to square one.

I pulled the teak on my F.B. a couple years ago. Big job but worth it. Now I am contemplating doing the side walkways and painting the rest. Admiral says "No" but if I could show her some nice pictures of a quality job it might sway her.

pete

Let me see if I can pull up a pic. I’m sure it will be sideways though. Lol

As promised, this is what I could find . Plan on taking lots of pictures when the new bridge enclosure is finished.

Attachments

• F04465B8-759F-412C-BAD9-AC94A7FDD8B0.jpg
    F04465B8-759F-412C-BAD9-AC94A7FDD8B0.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 63
It’s the tiny louver detail on the teak engine intakes that drive me crazy. Next time I’m just using the teak sealer like they do at the boat shows. No foot deep gloss, but still attractive and applies like water. This Florida sun consumes Cetol, Varnish and Epiphane.

Photo shows my veranda after sanding and coating with sealer. Good enough.

Attachments

• 8C2DD67D-8333-436D-AEF9-578D8942B4AE.jpg
    8C2DD67D-8333-436D-AEF9-578D8942B4AE.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 52
These aren’t great photos. Will take some more today. We just painted the angled teak in the second photo. Have to go strip the tape in a bit.

Attachments

• C9679B11-5BF5-49C2-9AB8-88627B857330.jpg
    C9679B11-5BF5-49C2-9AB8-88627B857330.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 5466B3F4-CB2C-4CBA-B303-16E185A251AA.jpg
    5466B3F4-CB2C-4CBA-B303-16E185A251AA.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for the comments and as I certainly apply the rule of whatever works for you and makes you happy, awesome.

Call me old school but I’m a bit of a purest, there are plenty of newer boats with no teak, and yes they look modern, but for me if I wanted a modern look I would have bought a modern boat.

Is it going to be a lot of work, yes. Is it a pain to work on, yes. Does it look fantastic next to all the modern boats, yes.

Boats are work, constant upkeep, maintenance, and the reward for me is when someone says, wow bright work is beautiful, such character and charm. So, I’m not a boater who is afraid of working on my girl, after all every relationship needs attention and not the simple way out ;)

I did think the white rails looked good!

Happy boating.

Wow, 36 grit scares me. First for me was an 80 followed by 120, then each coat after is 220 and 400.

Yeah, me too, but I started with 60 and was making no headway. I should qualify my original post, that regimen was for the cap rails; the handrails were in much better shape and 150/220 did the job.

Yeah, me too, but I started with 60 and was making no headway. I should qualify my original post, that regimen was for the cap rails; the handrails were in much better shape and 150/220 did the job.

Makes perfect sense. I hate to think of the amount of wood lost to the 36, but get the need to use the right tool for the job.

I also think all of our locations play such a factor in what we select to do with the bright work.

Took a few more photos. The PO apparently didn’t know about tape and when he varnished it went all over the hardware and gel coat. We took all the hardware off and cleaned off the varnish and then polished it before we put it back on. Sorry about the dreaded sideways photos...

Attachments

• 35135303-48DC-4B04-B6F8-C79F636C90EA.jpg
    35135303-48DC-4B04-B6F8-C79F636C90EA.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 50
  • D6925F69-976F-4E4C-A48A-9A97783B2863.jpg
    D6925F69-976F-4E4C-A48A-9A97783B2863.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 49
  • A78E9EC7-1A47-4D9D-9D27-D405CE5D83FC.jpg
    A78E9EC7-1A47-4D9D-9D27-D405CE5D83FC.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 6CFF138B-E27B-4322-AD4F-46A080666482.jpg
    6CFF138B-E27B-4322-AD4F-46A080666482.jpg