Primer for running gear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBreeze

Vessel Name
SeaShell
Vessel Make
1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
After reading several first hand accounts, I have decided to try and coat my prop, shaft, and rudder with Rustoleum bright galvanizing spray paint to help fight slime and barnacle growth. After I clean everything down to bare brass and stainless, what spray primer should I use? Would a self etching primer damage the metals?

David - didn't stick or didn't repel slime and barnacles?

David - didn't stick or didn't repel slime and barnacles?

Both maybe, but after a year of use, maybe 75 hours, it was gone. If it would have lasted 2-3 years, my typical interval between bottom jobs, I would have done it again. But alas.....

David

Both maybe, but after a year of use, maybe 75 hours, it was gone. If it would have lasted 2-3 years, my typical interval between bottom jobs, I would have done it again. But alas.....

David

Unfortunately I'm on an annual haul and painting cycle due to the unbelievable marine growth here.... and that is with a monthly diver cleaning the bottom. So maybe it is worth it for me.

I used it two years ago, had a diver clean the bottom and running gear this past March. Pulled the boat last month and there were very few barnacles on the shafts and props. Did not use any undercoating, just wiped down with acetone before spraying. I reapplied again this year.

I've used both Rustoleum zinc primer and Barnacle buster over clean metal with OK results. Retention was good; effect lasted less than a year, better than nothing. This fall I switched to Pacifica Plus by Interlux. It's been popular for several seasons with the commercial Waterman in the boatyard I use, for their running gear and crabpot cages (protects the propeller from pot lines). Many still use Propspeed on the propeller. For me, the Propspeed was ok on the propeller but worthless on the skeg and cutlass bearing shaft tube (I don't go fast enough for it to work).

My bottom was looking kind of ghetto when I splashed yesterday. Only the bottom scrubber will see it now though.

20191006_101934.jpg

Ted

Last edited:
I’ve used Petit BB and it works .... a little.
I just made a post about using ArmorAll. It works better than BB. Find my post and paste it here please.
Soon I’ll haul out and have more input too.

end of July wire brushed all running gear & trim tabs
6 coats of rustolium, no primer

Happen to looking at tabs today looks clean, very satisfied $7 a can 4 cans

Wash the metal with bleach, sand, wipe with paint thinner and spray the cold galvanising on.

Lasts about a year.

Paint worked best for me

Two years ago I performed a test on the running gear of my twin engine Ocean Alexander 456. On one propeller shaft I used interlux 2000E primer covered with non-ablative bottom paint. On the other prop shaft I used only non-ablative paint, no primer. On the propellers I used zinc over primer, again 2000E. On the other propeller I used just zinc, no primer.

The best results by a long shot was the propeller shaft that was primed and covered with non-ablative paint.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom