Why join a yacht club?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As members of the Bayfield Yacht Club, Bayfield, Wi, my wife and I have enjoyed our membership for over 25 years. In that time, we have participated in social and cruising events and made more life long friendships than I can count. I can't imagine that my time on the water would have ever spanned all these years without these friends. In our time, we have gone from just attending events to organizing events to serving on the board. We have also been able to visit a number of other clubs as we travel and are always recieved by fellow boaters who absolutely go out of their way to welcome us into their area and who promote friendship and boating.

As to "Why join a Yacht Club".... Your call.

Ms B has brought up the best reason to belong to a club that I can think of and that's to have a better chance of getting a slip while cruising. While we've had several invitations to be introduced to a couple of the local yacht/country clubs, we find that at this point in our cruising lives , it's more enjoyable to march (boat) to the beat of our own drum. We would much rather be anchored in a secluded cove swinging on our anchor listening to the wildlife and quietly chatting about nothing in particular rather than being tied in a slip listening to the adjacent slip holders increasingly louder voices as the evening progresses & the cocktails get stronger. I suppose I'm sounding a lot like the curmudgeon that I sometimes am ,but we have plenty of friends on land!

I appreciate everyone's response--very good thoughts as always! I looked up three yacht clubs in the St. Pete/Tampa area and they all require sponsorship or were "by invite only", so that put a halt to my further exploring membership. I left behind cliquey stuff years ago in high school and college. I certainly do not intend to offend those that enjoy yacht clubs, but actively searching for someone to sponsor or invite me just seems awkward. I guess it is just not for me or my social circle is way too small.

I will continue to enjoy my virtual yacht club called Trawler Forum!

I've been a member of two different yacht clubs in my life. One was really great, and we loved being members and spent a lot of time there, and we only left it when we moved away. The next one, was a complete waste of time, very cliquish, not really interested in boating that much, with billing nightmares, and we dropped out after two years.

The moral of the story being, do as much scouting and research as you can before picking one.

We live 2+ hrs from our boat and we live inland where there aren't yacht clubs. We're not going to drop by the yacht club. When the boat is in the water, we're out on the boat. We simply don't have time for a yacht club. However, I've belonged to several social clubs over the years. (Rod and Gun clubs, and private bars with a keycard). If we were local to a Yacht Club, we would definitely join.

It's nice to be able to walk in and know almost everyone. It's like going out with a large group of friends, without making plans to do so. You just show up and there are people that you know there. While you're there, some folks may leave and others just show up. It's nice. It usually takes my wife 30+ minutes to leave as she goes around saying goodbye to everyone.

Either you've belonged to a social club and understand....or you haven't and you don't. It's really as simple as that.

I appreciate everyone's response--very good thoughts as always! I looked up three yacht clubs in the St. Pete/Tampa area and they all require sponsorship or were "by invite only", so that put a halt to my further exploring membership. I left behind cliquey stuff years ago in high school and college. I certainly do not intend to offend those that enjoy yacht clubs, but actively searching for someone to sponsor or invite me just seems awkward. I guess it is just not for me or my social circle is way too small.

Wifey B: Some of you are giving too much credence to the sponsor thing. You visit one time, talk to a few people while there, and you have your sponsor. Not like it's something you have to search or work for. :)

If the front desk of a Yacht Club tells you, you need to find a sponsor, you are talking to the wrong person. Some where there is a person in charge of recruiting new members pulling his hair out. If you don’t like the answer you got, ask for the member in charge of recruiting. That person will have a sponsor assigned to you. We found that our 100 years of tradition was scaring off new recruits. It used to take 1 year to join SYC. Now we have it done in less than 60 days.

If the front desk of a Yacht Club tells you, you need to find a sponsor, you are talking to the wrong person. Some where there is a person in charge of recruiting new members pulling his hair out. If you don’t like the answer you got, ask for the member in charge of recruiting. That person will have a sponsor assigned to you. We found that our 100 years of tradition was scaring off new recruits. It used to take 1 year to join SYC. Now we have it done in less than 60 days.

I agree 100%. You can ask the best way to reach the head/chair of the membership committee. E-mail is usually the best way. Explain that you're interested in joining and would like to find out how to get in touch with willing sponsors.

I did this at a rod and gun club in a city I was living in. Their website listed 1 night a month for sponsoring members to accompany prospective new members to sign up. I showed up and said "I don't know any members, however I'm interested in joining". The Membership governor sponsored me right there.

I guess my question has to be.... If it is so easy to get a sponsor to join a yacht club ( pretty much the first person you talk to and who has no idea who you really are ) why bother making it a rule to join.
No, We do not belong to a yacht club and I do not see one in our future. We have belonged to car clubs, beach clubs,and motorcycle clubs in the past. We just do not seen to have the time anymore to enjoy the membership. Heck, I think I still belong to the moose club, but haven't been there in 10+ years.

Ours is similar. Our clubs have apparently learned from our close friendship!

Our website explains the process to potential new members.

I guess my question has to be.... If it is so easy to get a sponsor to join a yacht club ( pretty much the first person you talk to and who has no idea who you really are ) why bother making it a rule to join.
No, We do not belong to a yacht club and I do not see one in our future. We have belonged to car clubs, beach clubs,and motorcycle clubs in the past. We just do not seen to have the time anymore to enjoy the membership. Heck, I think I still belong to the moose club, but haven't been there in 10+ years.

So they can reserve the right to say no. If they don't run it as a private club then they can lose all rights to being private. It also discourages people who they would have obvious issues allowing in, such as those recently convicted of crimes or those with notorious reputations.

If done well, requiring a sponsor also encourages members who actually want to be members (by helping them get to know people, etc.). Even if it's a low barrier to entry, it weeds out people who want to join because it sounds cool at first, but would then contribute nothing in the long run.

In the Tampa Bay area, two small and casual clubs are Davis Island in Tampa ( Davis Island Yacht Club - Davis Island Yacht Club ) and Boca Ciega, in Gulfport, a suburb of St. Petersburg ( https://www.sailbcyc.org ). Both tend to attract sailors more than power boaters - DIYC bills itself as "The Sailingest Club in the Southeast." But they are down-home and welcoming to all, and their slips / moorings are well-located. Though I no longer live nearby, it's always a pleasure to visit.

Bingo!

We are actually recruiting. Yes anybody can join. The only process is to come to a casual dinner or two and see if you like it. We are easy going and have many personalities among the club. No pressure.

Nailed it, "reciprocal privileges" with the clubs who would not let you be one of their members. LOL

Generally speaking, there is also a monthly minimum fee BUT, this can be offset by eating a few or more meals in their restaurant.

I used to be a member of one but when barristers and solicitors took over from actual yachties and fun and frivolity was replaced with blue blazer, white pants and white shoe wankerism it became obvious it was not for me.

I guess my question has to be.... If it is so easy to get a sponsor to join a yacht club ( pretty much the first person you talk to and who has no idea who you really are ) why bother making it a rule to join.....
Perhaps Clubs were tougher on joining when more people wanted to join,and the rules don`t get changed.
Ku Ring Gai MYC here has tough rules but sometimes advertises that their not insubstantial joining fee is being waived.
When I joined RSYS in Sydney I was "invited" to join but had to have an interview with a committee member. Unfortunately I have filled both of the categories Simi found so repellent, but then again, I was an active sailing member, not a "social member"
Some people get advantages from a Club,some don`t. If you don`t, don`t join.

We are actually recruiting. Yes anybody can join. The only process is to come to a casual dinner or two and see if you like it. We are easy going and have many personalities among the club. No pressure.

what percentage power boater to sail?

what percentage power boater to sail?

No one has a sail boat that I know of. Some have pontoon boats, center consoles, express cruisers, pocket trawlers, not many my size. Some don’t have boats at all or had them but sold. It’s a great social/boating club. We all have fun, go on boating trips, have dinner every Friday and most recently 19 of us went on a celebrity cruise.

When I joined RSYS in Sydney I was "invited" to join but had to have an interview with a committee member. Unfortunately I have filled both of the categories Simi found so repellent, but then again, I was an active sailing member, not a "social member"
As was I,

I sailed most days and raced every Wednesday most Friday nights and weekends.
But they didn't like multihulls
They didn't like multihulls outpointing and sailing past them playing loud music and not spilling their drinks.
They didn't like the winner of the rum sharing the spoils after the race on club grounds even though it had been tradition ever since I had been sailing there
And they especially didn't like those who are unimpressed by their perceived status or wealth be it borrowed or real.

I'd like to get a burgee from the yacht club on Bermuda. I would fly it when traveling and tell stories how I traveled on my AT34 from Bermuda with fuel tanks containing 400 gallons. LOL
Maybe I will start by saying, Bermuda insisted I leave, they paid to fill my fuel tanks and provided 2 full 100 gallon and 2 full 50 gallon fuel bladders.
That should be worth a few glasses of wine. SMIRK

Last edited:
I've visited hundreds of yacht clubs and there's a ton of difference. As a member of MOTA like a lot of us are, that give reciprocal privileges at a lot of yacht clubs. Most accept us, a few dont, and a lot just don't answer their phone.

In my local area, we have clubs that cost $10 grand to join and mega bucks each month.... and some that a free to join and monthly in the $200 range.

However, there are no real big benefits. Drinks are usually more than other places and can't bring your own to the pool.... food is more expensive and fair at best.... and some REQUIRE that you buy so much food and drink per month.

We have an American Legion and an Elks club on the water...... no super huge cost to be a member, food is VERY REASONABLE and drinks are lower than anywhere around. $1.25 beer and $2.50 mixed... just can't beat that.

I belong to both.

Now the down side.... no overnight docking at our Legion. Our Elks is $25 a night for docking, but very marginal power and services.

So, I have not joined a yacht club... but maybe in the future, who knows. But who wants to pay a fee to join and a monthly fee to pay the same price for drinks and food that other places charge.

So, I have not joined a yacht club... but maybe in the future, who knows. But who wants to pay a fee to join and a monthly fee to pay the same price for drinks and food that other places charge.

I'm not a member of one personally, but in some cases they have either nicer or cheaper marina facilities than other places in the area, which can make it more worthwhile.

and then, there is or perhaps was the Atlanta Yacht Club. They would meet in a local bar, I think in the Buckhead area. They had one rule, you could not own a boat. LOL

I was at a Yacht Club this last week and there was a huge discount on fuel from street price. Smaller tank no big deal, larger tank - it was nearly a $1 a gallon.

The whole social aspect would be a big reason why I would not join a yacht club. Add the required quarterly or annual expenditure in the restaurant as another. And paying a fee for the privilege.

Back
Top Bottom