Is Ocracoke Recovering?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sledge

Vessel Make
American Tug 41
I know it got hit with Dorian and at least some flooding. I was wondering if anyone knows how Silver lake is doing and the marinas and anchorage near the Ocracoke inlet on the outer banks of NC....

I have not been up there since, but heard from locals that pretty much anything at ground level got flooded. So any of the businesses around the lake are probably still in recovery mode.

It was not storm surge from the ocean that got them, it was wind blown tide from the NW off the sound. Caught many by surprise.

Most of Ocracoke had 7ft of flooding. During the local storm coverage, the owner of Smacnally's said he was standing in neck deep water in his restaurant. There was a lot of damage. The Anchorage Inn and Marina posted on October 1 that it is unclear of when the island will reopen to visitors. They are in full recovery mode. So, while you "might" be able to anchor in Silver Lake, nothing will be open to visitors yet.

Tom and I cruised down Adam's Creek this past weekend to Morehead City.....there is still debris floating. At one point we passed what looked like a railroad tie. So be careful out there....remember to keep a keen watch.

Searched the news, found this photo of a store there; the Village Craftsman. they keep little signs outside their door showing high water marks from multiple past storms. Yikes, Dorian (where red arrow is) is higher than Matthew...:eek:
191002_Ocracoke_25.jpg

Last notice I got is that Silverlake harbor is closed, no going onshore if you do try to anchor there. We were planning to revive our tradition of anchoring out there for Thanksgiving. Maybe next year. The infrastructure of the island is basically wiped out. Really really sad.

Given that the Alligator River bridge is closed indefinitely, that puts further pressure on the "outside" route.
Take a look at Cruiser's Net for a more detailed discussion.

https://cruisersnet.net/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom