View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #17
balder8

City: Puerto Sherry Andalucia SPAIN
Vessel Name: BALDER VIII
Vessel Model: North Sea Trawler 57' OC
Unlike sailboats, there are no media outlets for Trans oceanic powerboats except manufacturers marketing efforts such as PAE. Despite its moniker, a large percentage of boats featured in Passagemaker Magazine are not designed to make this type of trip. Contrast that to a handful of sail-oriented rags that feature long passage cruisers (personal favorite is Latitude 38 - free, with PDFs download able online - out of San Francisco, which is collecting a registry of circumavigators).

Hello, bonjour,

I am currently in Canary Islands, perfect location to start a passage to Carribean or Brazil aboard Balder VIII ( mmsi 227 399 280). The real issue is that many sailing boats are ready to cross waiting for the trade winds after hurricane season via Capo Verde or straight from Lanzarote or Gran Canaria in december or january.
But for us, trawler passagemakers, we are not looking for strong winds coming generally with huge waves. All the litterature is dedicated to sailors and not powerboat. One of my english friend with an Oyster 57 stayed 7 days completely with no wind and swell, in the middle of atlantic ocean. This is honestly what I should look for, by the way, it should give me opportunity to avoid running permanently my very efficient and reliable Keypower hydraulic stabs and have a pleasant passage for family and crew. I have crossed atlantic long time ago on my sailing yacht, ketch Fisher37, we had really serious swell and more or less 25 to 30 knst of wind during all the passage...
So the question is: what should be the best course and the best moment to do it, as well from Gib or Canary or on the way back from Florida, East coast or Carribean.
The northern passage is also an option but more cold and humid certainly even shorter...?
balder8 is offline   Reply With Quote